What's new

AをBとむさぼる

raikado

先輩
29 Oct 2012
Hello,

人の心のスキマに隠れ、負の力を糧とむさぼる・・・
The sentence is about evil spirits.

Does 負の力を糧とむさぼる mean to "greedily eat negative energy as food"?

For example, would りんごを飴と食べる mean "I eat apples as candy.(apples are like candy to me)"? The thing is, I would expect とする used instead of むさぼる. Also, even though I see AをBと思う a lot, I don't think I've ever seen it used with a verb that doesn't usually use と.

That's a bit classical usage of と. You can think it as ~として, thus, your interpretation "greedily eat negative energy as food" is correct.
e.g.
今を盛りと咲く桜花

Does 盛り mean さかり, prime (of one's life); one's best days?

I am not sure I understand 今を咲く either. I did find 今を生きる to mean "live in the moment", so does 今を咲く mean "bloom in the moment", "bloom without concern for tomorrow" (equivalent to live the moment but for plants?)

How do you translate this into English? A cherry flower that

Never mind...I suddenly had the inspiration to search for 今を盛りと as a whole. Still, while searching, I did find 今を咲く花 used on some blogs. Some seem to indicate that it means "flowers that are blooming right now" and some seem closer to what I've said before. Which is it? And if it is "flowers that are blooming right now", why is を used instead of に(or nothing at all)?

今を盛りと咲く桜花
cherry blossoms (which are) in all their glory

As I wrote, that's classical usage. Classical Japanese has different grammar from modern Japanese.
e.g.
かくて日も暮れ方になりしかば、今日を限りと傾く日影を惜しみける。
曾我物語

今を盛りと咲く桜花
cherry blossoms (which are) in all their glory

As I wrote, that's classical usage. Classical Japanese has different grammar from modern Japanese.
e.g.
かくて日も暮れ方になりしかば、今日を限りと傾く日影を惜しみける。
曾我物語

Ah, I see. Then, I won't concern myself too much with this grammar right now. Thank you, Toritoribe!

Back
Top Bottom