What's new

Travel 7 starting from Tokyo - Ideas?

Gjessing

Registered
9 Oct 2014
My starting point is NRT (Tokyo), Landing on Friday this week. Never been there before so thougt I would ask around for ideas.

Day 1-4
Would like to go away from the city to some mountains (but maybe not fuji?). Anyone have reccomendation of a nice smaller place where you can walk to some nice view points? In general just see something diffrent.

Day 5-6
Arrive in Tokyo again, wake up early for the fish market and try to see some of the city.

Day 7
Return day, mostly just airport time.

Any tips will be greatly appreciated!

"Just to see something different" does not give us anything to go on. Why have you chosen Japan and a smaller place to walk around? You must have had some concept of what's here before you booked your flight.

Well I guess I could rephrase the question on day 1-4. Does anyone on this forum have a good reccomendation for a walk/hiking spot with good views thats not mt.fuji? Japan I choose for the culture, and my thought was that getting of the most beaten path could lead to some interesting places.

Serendipity is for long visits. For such a short visit, arrive with a plan in mind.

I also recommend Nikko and Kamakura.
Here is a good guide for walking in the Nikko area.
Hiking and walks in the Nikko area - information & tips - Nikko Forum - Tripadvisor

One thing you should keep in mind is that Japan is a densely populated country and the Japanese do love their hiking/walking .. this means you will probably not be alone wherever you choose to go!!
If you head up to Chuzenji on a week day there shouldn`t be too many people on most of the walks listed above, and there is a good chance you may meet someone with a bit of English who may know the courses well and can point out some genuine `off the beaten track` places.

The approaching typhoon will hit the area about the time proposed....not a good time for hiking. He should probably move that to the end of his trip.

Japan I choose for the culture
Speaking only for myself, this statement has zero meaning to people who want to help advise you. "Culture" is such a broad topic, that unless you narrow down what that means, you will get replies that may not help. Moreover, your perception of the culture might be incorrect.

As for things off the beaten track:
LMGTFY - Let Me Google That For You

Recommended walk spot in autumn Tokyo.
"Rikugi-en"
Rikugi-en Gardens - Wikipedia

Access:
The park is open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. It is a short walk from Komagome Station on the JR Yamanote line and the Tokyo Metro Namboku Line.
There are no parking lots.
General admission (junior high school and above) is 300 yen.
People over 65 pay 150 yen, and students under junior high school age (and junior high school students living or studying in the Tokyo metropolitan area) may enter for free.

"Ginkgo tree-lined Outer Gardens of Meiji Shrine"
MEIJIJINGU GAIEN English

Back
Top Bottom