What's new

2014 MEXT Research Scholarship

Oinone

後輩
14 Sep 2013
Hello guys, I excessively need your help.
On may 2013 I applied Mext scholarship but I am rejected on the first stage. I admit that my field of study was not sufficient enough but it is not the point that I want to ask. As you all know on the application form, there are three selections:
1-Research Student
2-Master's Degree
3-Doctor's Degree
In 2013, May I tried to get the Master's Degree, rejected. Now i have just started my masters of the field of Econometrics and Curriculum & Instruction in my country. Yes I have two of them, so I am not planning to apply Master's Degree scholarship of Mext. But I really want to study in Japan, what if I apply for Research Student scholarship? If I say I want to get this scholarship for my master's thesis, will it be appropriate?
Thank you in advance!

Edit: I forgot to mention that I graduated from department of English Language Teaching. For this reason, Econometrics is not my actual field but Curriculum & Instruction is. So my research is going to be something related to Curriculum & Instruction, I guess.

Last edited:
Hello, Oinone. Many people have more than one Master degree, though usually one or two.
If your research and study plan is well written and interesting enough, I think this is no longer a problem. As the name implied, this is a research-oriented scholarship. However, if you really intend to do only Master degree in Japan, I think it would be better to give some good reasons why you choose not to go for Doctoral degree and choose your 3rd Master instead in your research and study plan.

You said you had just started your two master programs. Is the period for completion in each program for 1 year? If yes, you will complete your masters next year. I wonder why you would not apply for a Doctoral Degree.

By the way, if I understand correctly, Econometrics use a lot of maths and your undergraduate is English Language Teaching. So there should not be math courses offerred much in your English teachning degree. Very cool to see you choose to study something quantitative like Econometrics instead of other qualitative parts of the Economics field.👍

Hello Magician, thank you for your respond!
I am not intereseted in 3rd master program, I am planning to do my research related to my current master programs. That's why I am not sure whether it is appropriate or not. I mean I am going to use my research in Japan for my master's thesis (my master's degree in my country).

Completion in programs
Econometrics: 2 years (with my thesis)
Curriculum & Instruction: 3 years (with scientific preparation and my thesis)

Therefore, it is too early to apply for a Doctoral Degree. And yes, Econometrics will be challenging for me but I am going to do my best. I want to know my limits. :D

Back
Top Bottom