What's new

美里の分まで / 姿勢次第 / 素直に / 出来ずに

eeky

先輩
8 Jun 2010
Hi,

1. 「どんなに泣いても美里はもうかえらない。この子らに 美里の分まで生きてほしい。」とさと子さんはそう願っ ている。

My part translation: "However much I cry, Misato [speaker's deceased daughter] will not return. ???? ", hopes Satoko-san.

Is the second sentence something about wanting the other children to live in a way described by "美里の分まで"? If so, what does that mean?

2. どの大学でも学ぶ姿勢次第

I suppose this means "X that is learnt/studied at every university", but what is the likely meaning of 姿勢次第?

3. 僕も二年前はその一人であた。決して素直に喜べない入 学であった。

My translation "Two years ago I, too, was one of those people [who didn't get into their chosen school]. (My) university entrance was definitely not something I could be pleased about".

What does 素直に refer to here? Is the writer saying that he is being honest in what he says?

4. そんなとき、最も尊敬していた恩師の一人から手紙をも らった。「実は私も希望通りの進路に進むことが出来ずにいろいろ思い悩んでい た学生であった。しかし、問題なのは学校名ではなく、 そこでいかに努力をするかである」とあった。

My translation: "At that time, I received a letter from one of my greatly respected former teachers. 'In fact, I was also unable to follow my chosen route [to university], and was a bit lost and worried as a student. However, the important thing is not the name of the school, but how much effort you put in when you get there', it said."

As well as other things that may be wrong:

a) How does 出来ずに link the two parts of the second sentence? Does it mean anything more than that the second thing happened due to the first thing not being possible?

b) In the second sentence, does いろいろ思い悩んでいた学生 refer to the teacher writing the letter? I'm worried that であった is too impersonal for that meaning. Maybe it is talking about the students generally? I feel I may have misunderstood this part.

c) Why そんなとき and not そのとき?

1. 美里の分 = "Misato's share".

2. 学ぶ姿勢次第, where 次第 acts as a suffix meaning 'depending on'.

3. 素直に喜べない 素直 is a tricky one but I think it's more like he couldn't just be obediently happy that he'd got in somewhere.

4. a. A~ずにB I think of as 'in the state of having not A, did B'.
b. I don't think it can mean anything else but refer to the teacher (hence 私も). I don't know that it's more/less personal than anything else to use であった.
c. Wait for a native speaker. I think その could also be used, though.

3)
My university entrance is happy to some extent, but not simply happy since it's not my chosen school.

4) a)
出来ずに is the same as 出来ないで/出来なくて, so your interpretation is correct.

c)
そのとき often refers to a moment. そんなとき is used for a wider time span, like そのころ.

Thank you both.

1. How does "Misato's share" fit meaningfully into that sentence?

2. どの大学でも学ぶ姿勢次第 is a newspaper headline. "Depending on the 姿勢 that is learnt at every university" does not make sense to me as a headline for any dictionary definition of 姿勢. What is it conveying?

1)
to live for Misato, to live instead of Misato, to live a life Misato might have been living, or like that.

2)
It depends on your attitude to learn even what university you are attending.

美里の分まで / 姿勢次第 / 素直に / 出来ずに

1. Same way a pregnant woman is "eating for two".

Back
Top Bottom