What's new

料‘料金‘代‘費

J44xm

経験値が足りない
6 Dec 2004
The other day in class, we learned a number of money-related words regarding fares and charges and such:

料金 家賃・運賃・入場料・授業料・使用料・手数料・送料・レンタル料
代金 タクシー代・電気代・水道代・電話代・食事代・飲み物代・洋服代・新幹線代
費用 交通費・生活費

It was ... fairly confusing. At first, I was under the impression that 「料」 for was expenses in general, 「料金」 was for the cost of actual bills, and 「代」 was used for fares and admissions. But then there is 「費」 as well. And there are inconsistencies if I look at it that way. I'm not sure what the system here is.

Since I don't understand the difference between between 「水道料金」, 「水道料」, and 「水道代」, perhaps if I understand this, suspect things will become a lot clearer to me.

Is there any wonderful bit of information that will shed some light on this convulted mess?

Since I don't understand the difference between between 「水道料金」, 「水道料」, and 「水道代」, perhaps if I understand this, suspect things will become a lot clearer to me.
I think for utility bills those three are pretty much the same for total amount charged, the wording just depends more on the company than anything. 料金 I believe is also used for base rates (per hour wattage or whatever) set by the 公共事業。

料金 Money to pay for utilization / use.
代金 The money that a buyer of a thing pays to a seller.
費用 Money to be necessary for a certain thing.

Nuance/meaning of these words varies depending on the context, but when talking about domestic accounts, I feel like this for each term:

料金: Amount charged/billed/to be paid. Fixed rate for public service and other services.
電話料金 水道料金 特急料金 料金表

代: Also amount charged/billed/to be paid. Maybe more colloquial than 料金.
With 代, rate is not an issue, just about the amount.
電話代 水道代

費用: Cost. It's more like how much you allocate for something.
~費 is often used in account book.
通信費 交通費 生活費 交際費

例:
ガス料金が値上げになりました。
おかげで、今月はガス代として5千円も払わなくてはなりませんでした。
先月は電気料金が上がったばかりなのに。
光熱費が増えたおかげで食費を少し節約しなくてはなりません。

可哀想に!:(:(

Thanks for the explanation, guys. That really helped me out as well. I had never even thought about those terms.

J44xm, you're starting to ask some pretty difficult questions, it seems! 日本語、いや、何かを学んだり身につけていったりするにつれ当たり前のことですよね。

Thank you for the fine responses! This makes a lot more sense now. ありがとうございました。

Glennへ: Oh, am I? That's good. I guess that it might just mean that I'm actually progressing a bit after all!

学校にいくのであれば、電気代、ガス代、水道代、要りません :? :p

生活費もかなりの額になると思いますよね.

Back
Top Bottom