What's new

愛する者

Shiruyumi

後輩
13 Jan 2014
Hello all. So, verbs modifying noun has been something I've had troubles grasping. One example that I've been seeing lately is 愛する者. In context, it has been used as "beloved" or person who is loved. Since I would have expected it as "one who loves". In these situations, is there always this meaning where the noun could be either the one person in the actions, or the one that action is being performed on?

こんにちは。Hello.

I am not sure I fully understand your question, but I think you are asking whether 愛する者 is just referring to the one who is beloved or if there is a action directed toward that noun, as in "you are beloved by me."

From what I understand it seem that when a verb just directly modifies a noun it just modifies that noun.
As in it just gives more info about that specific noun. Since there are no particles attached to 愛する者 it just looks like the noun is being modified.

彼を愛しています。I love him. "he" is what is being loved.
愛する犬はどこですか。Where is my beloved dog? The 愛する is modifying 犬. As for if there is a action directed toward it, there is the "love" that is describing it and I assume they are receiving it.

Hope this could help.

じゃ、また。

is there always this meaning where the noun could be either the one person in the actions, or the one that action is being performed on?

Rephrased, you're asking "Is there never clarity?" The answer is, "No, of course not".

Context provides clarity. Looking at things as more than short isolated clips provides clarity.

私が愛する者
私を愛する者

See?

I know you came back and saw the replies you received. Were they helpful?

You have started nine threads and in six of them you have made no posts beyond the opening post.

From the Forum Rules:

I.1 Display of courtesy

Our members and staff go to great lengths to answer questions and support requests. As a matter of general courtesy and basic "netiquette," we ask posters to acknowledge their efforts by either replying to their thread in a timely fashion or by expressing their gratitude with a "like". While the absence of such civility is deplorable, it will not result in an infraction. Be advised however that any future requests by members deemed discourteous and/or uncooperative may simply be ignored.

Last edited:
This happens with nouns as well: for example, the word 待人 can mean both "person who waits" and "person being waited for". But if you see "待人: 来る" on a みくじ (fortune), it's evident which one is meant.

Here's a bit more than a snippet, a usage found in the Final Fantasy VII Ultimania guide. In this case, how would one determine whether is person is the one loving, or the one being loved?

少年時代のあこがれ、愛するものを奪った仇、そしてリユニオンの母体——セフィロス。星の敵として以上に因縁の存在である彼と1対1で 決着をつけなくては、クラウドの戦いは終わらない。

Well, which ones makes more sense? (And in particular, since it's from a game, which is more dramatic?) Let's translate it in first person to make things easier:

My enemy, who stole the one who loves <me>
My enemy, who stole the one <I> love

The point specific to that example is that もの is written in hiragana, thus, 物 is also possible other than 者, and I think it's actually 物, or connoting both 物 and 者.
As for 愛する者/人 in general, I believe it's almost always used as "the one(s) I love/the subject loves", i.e., 者/人 is the object of 愛する except when used with an object (e.g. 春を愛する人). For the case "the one who loves me", other expressions such like 愛してくれる人 are used to make clear the direction of emotion.

Back
Top Bottom