What's new

前の部分 / 願書を送る / という / 待っている

eeky

先輩
8 Jun 2010
Hi,

1. This is a note on the use of (このように/つまり)・・・(という)わけだ:

結論、まとめ : 前の部分が何を意味しているのかを 説明する

It looks to me as if the second part of this is ambiguous and can be read in two ways:

a) [前の部分]が[<implied subject>が何を意味しているのか]を[説明する]
b) <implied subject>が[前の部分が何を意味しているのか]を[説明する]

Are these both valid interpretations? I'm assuming (b) is the correct one in this case; is this right?

2. わたしは手紙で願書を送るよう決めた。

Translation given: "I wrote off for an application form."

I don't get this translation. I thought the sentence meant:

わたしは...送るよう決めた = I decided I would send
願書を = an application
手紙で = in the form of a letter

(i.e., in more natural English, "I decided to apply by letter".)

3. 海外旅行に行くといっても、二泊三日です。(山田さん のように1週間というわけではない。)

My translation: "Although I said that I'm going on an overseas trip, it's (only) for three days and two nights. I'm not going away for a whole week like Mr Yamada."

Is this correct? With という there, I wondered if the second sentence could mean "I'm not going away for a whole week like Mr Yamada said I was." (i.e. Mr Yamada made an incorrect statement).

4. 同じ年に入社したからといって、みんなが一緒に出世で きるというわけではない。彼らには厳しい競争が待って いるのだ。

My translation: "Just because they all joined the company at the same time doesn't mean they can all be promoted together. Intense competition awaits them."

Is this OK? Especially, have I interpreted 待っている correctly?

Yes, (b) is correct. Though not 100% impossible, it is highly unlikely the sentence could mean (a) unless <implied subject> is a person, not a thing.

Yes, your interpretation is correct.

Your first translation is correct.
というわけ is a kind of set phrase, というわけではない can be translated as "(it is) not the case".

To make it means "I'm not going away for a whole week like Mr Yamada said I was.", you need to modify the sentence to something like
山田さんの言うように1週間というわけではない。

Your translation is good and correct. :)

Back
Top Bottom