What's new

のが at the end of a sentence

zuotengdazuo

Sempai
8 Dec 2019
少女への恐怖とか、そんなものより先に
少女が士道の言葉ーー殺しに来たのではない、というその台詞を、微塵も信じることができないのが
信じることができないような環境に晒されていた、というのが

Hi. Could you please explain why the two のが in red are used at the end of sentence? Is anything omitted after のが?
And does the underlined というのが mean "because", namely, a variation of というのは/も?

By the way, I have looked up the expression より先に, which seems to mean "before". But "before the fear of the girl" doesn't seem to make sense in this context. So what does より先に mean exactly?
Thank you.

What are the preceding sentences?
少女が、士道の目を覗き込むように顔を斜めにしながら視線を放ってくる。
「……確か、私を殺すつもりはないと言っていたか?ふんーー見え透いた手を。言え、何が狙いだ。油断させておいて後ろから襲うつもりか?」
「…………っ」
士道は、小さく眉根を寄せ、奥歯をぎりと噛んだ。

Hmm, what is the following sentence?
気持ち悪くて、たまらなかった。
「ーー人間は......ッ」
思わず、士道は声を発していた。
「おまえを殺そうとする奴らばかりじゃ......ないんだッ」
「......」
少女が目を丸くして、士道の髪から手を離す。
Is this useful?

Yes, thanks. The following four lines are actually a single sentence.

少女への恐怖とか、そんなものより先に
少女が士道の言葉ーー殺しに来たのではない、というその台詞を、微塵も信じることができないのが
信じることができないような環境に晒されていた、というのが
気持ち悪くて、たまらなかった。

The two が both indicate the object of 気持ち悪い.

I have looked up the expression より先に, which seems to mean "before". But "before the fear of the girl" doesn't seem to make sense in this context.
That's 少女の恐怖, i.e., the fear to the girl.

That's 少女の恐怖, i.e., the fear to the girl.

Forgive me if I'm misunderstanding your point here, but I believe 少女への恐怖 would still be translated into English as "fear of the girl." (You either fear something or have a fear "of" something. You can't really "fear to" something.)

===
edit: Actually, I think I understand now, as the OP's original comment doesn't make it clear whether he understands that it's Shido's fear of the girl, rather than the girl's (own) fear. It's the former, not the latter.
===

To the OP, I'm not sure if this will help with what you're having difficulty grasping, but you can think of it as saying that it was these other these other unsettling thoughts (described in the following disconnected sentences) that came to Shido's mind first, rather than merely a sense of fear.

Last edited:
Thank you both!
The two が both indicate the object of 気持ち悪い.
According to the further previous text, the girl held his head by his hair. I thought it was this that made him feel sick.
And the two sentences ended with のが are placed before 気持ち悪い, so shouldn't they be the subject of 気持ち悪い?
And what is the function of the という before the second のが? Can we omit it?
edit: Actually, I think I understand now, as the OP's original comment doesn't make it clear whether he understands that it's Shido's fear of the girl, rather than the girl's (own) fear. It's the former, not the latter.
===

To the OP, I'm not sure if this will help with what you're having difficulty grasping, but you can think of it as saying that it was these other these other unsettling thoughts (described in the following disconnected sentences) that came to Shido's mind first, rather than merely a sense of fear.
Yes, I understand it's Shido's fear of the girl. Sorry for not making it clear.

shouldn't they be the subject of 気持ち悪い?
There are two ways of interpretation about what が indicates when it's attached to adjectives that expresses emotion/feelings (e.g. 好きだ, 嫌いだ, 憎い, 楽しい 怖い). Some textbooks say が indicates the subject, but it's more common to interpret が as the object marker in Japanese grammar. Anyway, whether it's called the object or subject, the sentence structure is;

(士道は)少女が士道の言葉を信じることができないのが、(そんな)環境に晒されていたというのが、気持ち悪くてたまらなかった。.

what is the function of the という before the second のが? Can we omit it?
Here's a related thread.

という emphasizes the meaning in your example, but the meaning is the same without it.

Yes, I understand it's Shido's fear of the girl. Sorry for not making it clear.
Ah, I see. Then, that's my misinterpretation of your word. Doesn't "still" make sense after knowing it's a single sentence?

Thank you again.
So the topic sentence roughly and literally means "Shidou felt sick of her words and her being exposed to an environment where no one could trust her.", right?

Both 言葉 and 台詞 refer to 士道's words, not her words. 少女が士道の言葉ーー殺しに来たのではない、というその台詞を、微塵も信じることができないこと is 気持ち悪い.

Back
Top Bottom