What's new

ときて question

killerinsidee

先輩
14 Dec 2013
I can't quite figure this "ときて" thing out. No idea what it means.
A few examples I've found:
Comment about a game from the same series as Sky and Force -「SKY→FORCEときてどうせならと」No idea what that whole thing means either "ときてどうせならと".
Some line I've found on google - 「宮本氏: (時オカ→神トラ)それから初代ときてリンクの冒険という順番になる。」
(From Maria-sama ga Miteru Novel English Translation Project 「子供心に不思議に思い、未だにそれは引きずっている。青空、樫の木、ウグイス、山百合ときて、なぜサファイアなのか、と。」
I guess it's just と + 来る, but no clue what function it has here.
I've also seen ときている, as in - 「外国人であるだけでも大変だが、その上女性ときている。」

If anyone could clarify this, that would be great.
Thanks.

Last edited:
The followings make sense?
SKY→FORCEと名付けてきて、どうせならと
N64の『時のオカリナ』、SFCの『神々のトライフォース』と続いてきて、『リンクの冒険』という順番になる。
青空、樫の木、ウグイス、山百合と例えてきて、なぜサファイアなのか

The last one is a different usage of 来る.
くる [1] 【来る】
⑬(「…ときたら」「…ときた日には」「…ときているから」などの形で)あるものを話題にとりあげて示す。 「うちの亭主ときたら」 「うまい上に安いときているから,いつも満席だ」 「鯛の刺身に灘の生一本ときた日には,こたえられないね」
来るとは - Weblio辞書

The followings make sense?
SKY→FORCEと名付けてきて、どうせならと
N64の『時のオカリナ』、SFCの『神々のトライフォース』と続いてきて、『リンクの冒険』という順番になる。
青空、樫の木、ウグイス、山百合と例えてきて、なぜサファイアなのか

Unfortunately, I still don't understand it. :(
No idea why きて is used there.
Could you please explain the meanings in those sentences?

Edit: The only thing I can think of is that it's enumeration, but with the verb omitted. That sounds silly, though. :S
Also, in "SKY→FORCEと名付けてきて、どうせならと"
Sky is the last game in the series, force is before it and the game the person is commenting on is the first game in the series, i.e., he's commenting on the oldest game. Does that change anything?

Last edited:
Not just listing examples, but the order of the words is the critical key for using くる. What's the context of the first example phrase? The writer played again SKY and then FORCE, for instance? 名付けて is just from my impression, so this is wrong if the order is not "old-->new".

This appears to be the full source (a user review from a game review site).

Reading it in context, I think it's as simple as "I played SKY and then FORCE, so I figured I might as well [give this one, REVELLION, a try too.]"

(edit for clarity) To fill in what's left unstated/understood, would something like 「SKY→FORCEと遊んできて(or プレーしてきて)、どうせならREVELLIONもやってみようか思いました」 make sense to you?

Last edited:
Try to remember どうせ from all this as well. It is a very handy word.

Not just listing examples, but the order of the words is the critical key for using くる.

I see. So it can be used when 1. Listing some things/events come in order (chronologically, as in first 2 examples), or 2. Just some things arranged in some special order (as in the 3rd example)?

Also, does this くる usage imply that a verb is omitted and it has to be inferred from context or you just wrote it like that to help me understand?

To fill in what's left unstated/understood, would something like 「SKY→FORCEと遊んできて(or プレーしてきて)、どうせならREVELLIONもやってみようか思いました」 make sense to you?

Yeah, that's perfectly understandable. Thanks.

I'm just wondering, is there some dictionary entry (or something similar) of this くる usage? I can't seem to find it. Can someone link it?

Try to remember どうせ from all this as well. It is a very handy word.

Yeah, will do. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom