What's new

てない form use

letslearn

先輩
11 Sep 2013
Hi guys,
Have I got the interpretation of this sentence correct?
This is my first introduction to the てない form.

ずっと使ってないものですから、もうすかっり忘れてしまって。

Because I have never used it, I've already completely forgot (how to use it? /that I had it?)

よろしくお願いします

How can you forget something you've never done? :) It's "haven't used it in a long time", look at the ずっと. "Never used it" would be 使ったことがない.

There's nothing special about this ~てない "form", it's just a contraction of ~ていない which you already know.

Also it's すっかり, not すかっり - there are many words that follow this 〇っ〇り pattern.

How can you forget something you've never done? :) It's "haven't used it in a long time", look at the ずっと. "Never used it" would be 使ったことがない.

There's nothing special about this ~てない "form", it's just a contraction of ~ていない which you already know.

Also it's すっかり, not すかっり - there are many words that follow this 〇っ〇り pattern.
thanks lanthassan,
it does seem strange once you pointed it out. my mistake.
thanks for the link, very informative. I looked up ずっと and further down the page it said "hardly, not often" with is exactly what you said.
is てない just used for speaking?
thanks

thanks
is てない just used for speaking?
thanks
It's essentially a spoken form. Obviously it's written inside of dialogue, but also in casual writing where other spoken forms are also used (texts, e-mails, informal internet forums, etc.) It wouldn't be used in formal writing.

There are many such "verbal contractions"

て+は=ちゃ
で+は=じゃ
て+おく=とく
れば >> りゃ
Etc

If you just keep in mind that the phenomenon exists, pay attention to which sounds are present, and try to suss out which sounds may have been sacrificed on the altar of enunciation you can usually manage to reverse engineer the contraction back into a form you're likely already very familiar with.

Back
Top Bottom