What's new

ことなど

lanthas

27 Apr 2014
Short question about one sentence. Context: the narrator is a very lazy high school student who values sleep above everything else. In fact, he's sleeping right now.

今のこの季節を表現する言葉は数あれど。
俺が一番すきなのは。
春眠暁を覚えず。
その言葉と本能に従い、俺は眠っていた。
こうなると、もう何人も俺を起こすことなど――

There's probably something left out after the など, but what? Is there an abbreviated idiom here?

If I had to guess, I'd say there's an implicit できない: "no matter how many people would try to wake me up right now (, they wouldn't succeed)". Is this correct?

Yes, できはしない is omitted after that.
何人も is なんびとも ("no one can do"), not なんにんも in this case.

Reusing this thread for another question.

I stumbled upon the following tweet today which I'm not sure I understand, which is all the more frustrating because it's a quote from a small child:

社宅の懇親会でちびっ子が放った「せかいにひとつだけのはなでも、さかなくちゃお花屋さんにならべてもらえないんだよ」という矢のような言葉がその場にいた大人に刺さりまくってた。

My literal translation would be: "Even with only one flower in the world, if it doesn't bloom you can't get it by waiting in line at the flower shop" - thereby implying that flower shops won't give a chance to flowers that are not ideal/beautiful, even if there are no others left.

It seems to make sense, but I'm not sure since I haven't seen ~なくては used like this before. Can someone confirm that my interpretation is correct?

Even if its the only flower in the world, if it doesn't bloom, they won't put it on the shelf in the flower shop

Or,

If it doesn't bloom, the flower shop won't stock it, even if its the only one in the world

Or...

It doesn't matter how much potential a person has if they don't put forth the effort to manifest it.

Regarding examples of the grammar pattern, here's as lovely a collection of instances of it as I can think of:

Reusing this thread for another question.

I stumbled upon the following tweet today which I'm not sure I understand, which is all the more frustrating because it's a quote from a small child:

My literal translation would be: "Even with only one flower in the world, if it doesn't bloom you can't get it by waiting in line at the flower shop" - thereby implying that flower shops won't give a chance to flowers that are not ideal/beautiful, even if there are no others left.

It seems to make sense, but I'm not sure since I haven't seen ~なくては used like this before. Can someone confirm that my interpretation is correct?
It seems to me that せかいにひとつだけのはな refers to a popular singer group SMAP's very well-known song of the same title.

世界に一つだけの花

花屋の店先に並んだ
いろんな花をみていた
ひとそれぞれ好みはあるけど
どれもみんなきれいだね
この中で誰が一番だなんて
争う事もしないで
バケツの中誇らしげに
しゃんと胸を張っている

それなのに僕ら人間は
どうしてこうも比べたがる?
一人一人違うのにその中で
一番になりたがる?

そうさ 僕らは
世界に一つだけの花
一人一人違う種を持つ
その花を咲かせることだけに
一生懸命になればいい

So, the reason why その場にいた大人に刺さりまくってた is because the kid pointed out that その花を咲かせることだけに一生懸命になればいい is not correct/enough, you need to make it really bloom, not just to work as hard as you can.

Back
Top Bottom