What's new

から / から / 今日は午後見えるはず ...

eeky

先輩
8 Jun 2010
Hiya,

1. A teacher is advising a student to go to see the doctor:

電話かけておくから、行ってごらんなさい。

Does this mean "I've called to arrange it, so please try to go", or does it mean "Please call to arrange it, and then try to go"?

2. すぐ歯医者さんに行ったほうがいいよ。うちの歯医者さ んに電話かけてみるから。

My translation: "You should go and see a dentist straight away. I'll try calling our family dentist."

What does から mean here? In a similar case a while ago, I think it was explained that から suggested some kind of unstated explanation. So, here is it suggesting something like "... so you don't have to worry", "... so you should be OK", etc.?

3. A dental surgery receptionist is talking:

今日は午後見えるはずだった患者さんが、一人来られな くなりましたから、三時なら空いていますけど。

My translation: "A patient who should have been coming this afternoon now can't come, so (the dentist) will be free at three o'clock."

I'm unsure about the grammar of the first part.

a) Is this 見える + はず + だった + 患者さん, meaning "a patient who should have been coming"?

b) Is が the subject marker, and 患者さん the subject of 来られる?

c) How does 一人 fit in?

d) Why the verb form 来られる? Is this honorific "isn't coming", or is it potential "can't come"?

1. A teacher is advising a student to go to see the doctor:

電話かけておくから、行ってごらんなさい。

Does this mean "I've called to arrange it, so please try to go", or does it mean "Please call to arrange it, and then try to go"?

It's (私が)電話かけておくから、(あなたは)行ってごら んなさい。
The former is close, but the phone call has not been made yet.
"I'll call to arrange it, so..."

2. すぐ歯医者さんに行ったほうがいいよ。うちの歯医者さ んに電話かけてみるから。

My translation: "You should go and see a dentist straight away. I'll try calling our family dentist."

What does から mean here? In a similar case a while ago, I think it was explained that から suggested some kind of unstated explanation. So, here is it suggesting something like "... so you don't have to worry", "... so you should be OK", etc.?

It is the same as
うちの歯医者さんに電話かけてみるから、すぐ歯医者さ んに行ったほうがいいよ。
Similar express as 1.
"I'll call our dentist (if he can see you/if he's available, etc.) so you should/you'd better go and see the dentist."

3. A dental surgery receptionist is talking:

今日は午後見えるはずだった患者さんが、一人来られな くなりましたから、三時なら空いていますけど。

My translation: "A patient who should have been coming this afternoon now can't come, so (the dentist) will be free at three o'clock."

I'm unsure about the grammar of the first part.

a) Is this 見える + はず + だった + 患者さん, meaning "a patient who should have been coming"?

b) Is が the subject marker, and 患者さん the subject of 来られる?

c) How does 一人 fit in?

d) Why the verb form 来られる? Is this honorific "isn't coming", or is it potential "can't come"?

a) Yes. But in this particular context it is not a patient but patients.
b) Yes.
c) See a).
Maybe this would make it clearer?
午後見えるはずだった患者さんの一人が来られなくなり ましたから
One of the patients who are to come this afternoon can't come.

I have a question too. I've never seen 見える used this way, and after checking its definitions the only one I could find that seemed appropriate was the following one:

(4)「来る」の尊敬語。おいでになる。
「お客さんがお―・えです」

However, it isn't in the お見えになる form, which I was familiar with. So is it that meaning? Or is it some other way of being polite and indirect about the patients, i.e., they would be coming into view or something?

Thanks Undrentide!

I've never seen 見える used this way
The WWJDIC entry for ナ陳ゥ窶堋ヲ窶堙ゥ reads:

"(1) to be seen; to be in sight; (2) to look; to seem; to appear; (3) (hon) to come;"

I assumed it was meaning #3, but of course I'm not certain.

Yeah, that's the same as the definition above, but the form is different. That's why I'm a bit confused.

見える is more like a euphemism for appears or "can be seen" that holds the subject up without being an honorific in the true sense. Grammatically compatible with 来るwithout being as straightforward.

My sense of it anyway. :)

It's an honorific, thus, it can be used also for the second person, as same as いらっしゃる/お見えになる.
wink.png

e.g.
(in a meeting place, talking to a person who has already come before you)
早いですね。こちらにはいつ見えました?

Again, お見えになる/いらっしゃる is more common, though. :)

Back
Top Bottom