What's new

お口に合わない / ところ / 迷いそうで / 来いっていってた / 詩とは...

eeky

先輩
8 Jun 2010
Hi,

1. お口に合わないかもしれません

To me, this looks like it means "Maybe it won't fit in your mouth", but the context seems to indicate that it is a pleasantry related to gift-giving . Is it an idiom?

2. あなたの国の習慣と違うことろはどこですか。

This must be a typo for ところ, right?

3. 実は、あの~、地図をもらったんですけど、なんだか迷 いそうで心配なんですよ。

My translation: "Well, actually I received a map, but I'm a bit confused by it, so I'm worried."

迷いそう looks to me like 迷う + そう in the sense of "seems to be puzzled", but can you use this そう with verbs of which you are the subject? Or is the speaker not the subject?

4. 課長はお昼頃来いっていってたから、12時頃でいいで すかね。

My translation: "The section head said to get there about midday, so (we should meet at) about 12, yeah?"

Is 来いっていってた = 来い ("come") + って (quoting) + 言って + いた?

5. 詩とは至福至善の心は最善至福の時が記録である。

Translation given: "Poetry is the record of the best and happiest moments of the happiest and best mind."

I don't understand the grammatical structure of this sentence. To match the translation, to me it almost looks as if it should read 詩とは至福至善の心の最善至福の時の記録である。(I know that is an awful lot of のs strung together!)

Could anyone explain how the sentence works?

1)
Yes, 口に合う is an idiom, meaning "to suit one's taste". お口に合わないかもしれません is a kind of humble expression.

This might not suit your taste. = I hope you like it.

2)
Yes.

3)
Yes, そう can be used for the speaker themselves. The meaning is more close to かもしれない.
迷う means "to get lost/loose my way" here.

4)
Yes.

5)
が is acceptable as a classical equivalent of the possessive の, but は doesn't make sense there.

Thanks Toritoribe. Oh yes, 1 is fairly obvious now you explain it. Could you show me how to write sentence 5 correctly, keeping as near to the original as possible?

詩とは至福至善の心の最善至福の時が記録である。 is acceptable.

Whew, good. For a second I thought I was about to hit some more grammar that I just didn't get, but it turns out the sentence wasn't even acceptable. haha 😌

Back
Top Bottom