What's new

How do you know... ON/KUN and beyond

NYCのように東京での生活は(本当に)忙しいのです -> NYCのように東京での生活は(本当に)忙しいんです

I'm not used to the sentence order yet, but I'm sure if I do more examples I will get used to it. I'm still used to seeing it as 東京での生活はNYCのように(本当に)忙しいんです.

Holy crap, ころ = ごろ? I'm so used to saying 一時ごろ or 二時ごろ.

with の added when expressing this general timeframe (usually in one's past).

Other uses of koro/goro (with different meanings) may not be followed by の
食べごろ:Just the right time to eat [the food, being perfectly ripe, etc.].
二時ごろ:Around 2 o'clock

THIS MAKES SO MUCH MORE SENSE!!!

Now this makes almost complete sense. But I never have said 一時のごろ/一時のころ。"Around one o'clock" or would 先週のころ be more appropriate? (Around last week)

Thank you so much! 子供のころ/子供ころ?

Holy crap, 窶堋ア窶堙ォ = 窶堋イ窶堙ォツ? I'm so used to saying ヒ?ェナスナセ窶堋イ窶堙ォ or 窶愿アナスナセ窶堋イ窶堙ォ.
Ichiji-goro and niji-goro are correct. They are never used with "--koro."
ツ食窶堙冷?堋イ窶堙ォ is never "tabe-koro."

Koro is used in the context of ツ〜窶堙個債?ツ、ツ食窶堙冷?堋スツ債?ツ、窶堋キ窶堋ョ窶堙個債? discussed earlier.

Holy crap, 窶堋ア窶堙ォ = 窶堋イ窶堙ォツ?
窶堋ア窶堙ォ is used like as a noun.
"noun" + 窶堙娯?堋ア窶堙ォ
ナスq窶ケナク窶堙娯?堋ア窶堙ォ, ツ春窶堙娯?堋ア窶堙ォ

"the adjectival form of a verb/adjective" + 窶堋ア窶堙ォ
窶愿コ窶怒ナ津ェ窶堙ーツ習窶堋「ナスn窶堙溪?堋ス窶堋ア窶堙ォ, 窶纏窶堋オ窶堋「窶堋ア窶堙ォ

Whereas 窶堋イ窶堙ォ is used like as a suffix with a temporal word.
窶愿アナスナセ窶堋イ窶堙ォ, ツ春窶堋イ窶堙ォ

When used with the pre-masu form of verbs, its meaning is changed to "the best timing to do something."
ツ食窶堙冷?堋イ窶堙ォ窶堙姑椎?ニ停?愴担: a ripe apple

Ah, I sent you both PM's. Sorry.

The sentence of 日本へ行ったばかりのころは。。。 is still weird in my head, I apologize. I will review all of these again Friday or Saturday.

"the adjectival form of a verb/adjective" + ころ
日本語を習い始めたころ, 忙しいころ

I definitely understand this, it's like 先週買った本 in the sense that the underlined is modifying the noun next to it.

食べごろリンゴ hmm...I think this also makes sense if I can put, 一時ごろのバス。

note

Ah, I sent you both PM's. Sorry.
No problem. I'll reply here.

Does this mean that it is used as a possessive? Like, ツ静ヲツ青カ窶堙娯?怒 is the teacher's book? ツ春窶堙娯?堋ア窶堙ォ = spring's time?
ツ春窶堙娯?堋ア窶堙ォ: around spring
ツ静。窶堙娯?愬停?ケナセ: snowy Tokyo

ツ春/ツ静。 posseses something?:?

So what could 窶愿コ窶怒ナ津ェ窶堙ーツ習窶堋「ナスn窶堙溪?堋ス窶堙娯?堋ア窶堙ォ be, the same thing as the first one? I honestly thought that the 窶堙 was a nominilizer to make it into a noun, for the previous example to occur.
窶愿コ窶怒ナ津ェ窶堙ーツ習窶堋「ナスn窶堙溪?堋ス is neither a noun nor a noun clause, so it can't be used with "窶堙娯?堋ア窶堙ォ." You can say 窶愿コ窶怒ナ津ェ窶堙ーツ習窶堋「ナスn窶堙?ツ習窶堋「窶堋ス窶堙??堙娯?堋ア窶堙ォ or "the noun form + 窶堙娯?堋ア窶堙ォ."

窶ケN窶堋ォ窶堋イ窶堙ォ窶堙固スナセナ?テ - the best timing to wake up?
Yes. 窶ケN窶堋ォ窶堋イ窶堙ォ can mean so.

ツ食窶堙冷?堋イ窶堙ォ窶堙啓/U]ニ椎?ニ停?愴担 hmm...I think this also makes sense if I can put, ヒ?ェナスナセ窶堋イ窶堙ォ窶堙姑弛ニ湛ツ。

Yes, ヒ?ェナスナセ窶堋イ窶堙ォ窶堙姑弛ニ湛 is correct.
ヒ?ェナスナセ窶堋イ窶堙ォ窶堙姑弛ニ湛窶堙可湘ヲ窶堙≫?堋ス窶堙娯?堙遺?堙ァツ、窶堋サ窶堙ォ窶堋サ窶堙ォ窶堋ア窶堋ソ窶堙ァ窶堙俄?吮?ヲ窶堋ュツ債?[窶堋ア窶堙ォ]窶堙??堋オ窶堙・窶堋、ツ。

春のころ: around spring
雪の東京: snowy Tokyo

春/雪 posseses something?:?

They don't...er...
Aah, I'm not sure anymore. The only __のnoun I've come across are things like adjectives, such as 緑のセーター。雪の東京 (setsu or yuki?) as snowy tokyo is not something I know. Could you say 雨の京都, as rainy Kyoto?

日本語を習い始めた is neither a noun nor a noun clause, so it can't be used with "のころ." You can say 日本語を習い始め/習いたてのころ or "the noun form + のころ."

:?I'm still then extremely confused, because the conversation started with 食べたばかりのころ. I'm afraid after all these posts, I still cannot grasp why this works. I can understand 食べたばかりころ, mostly, but not のころ。

I'm going to do a post recap.

ころ is used like as a noun.
"noun" + のころ
子供のころ, 春のころ

Okay, so following this, noun + のころ。
先週のころ - around last week. I completely and deliberately did not make it possessive, even though in my mind I still think of it that way for now, as "last week's time, about".

"the adjectival form of a verb/adjective" + ころ
日本語を習い始めたころ, 忙しいころ

I'll have to read into adjectival form, but I think you mean, the past tense? Like perhaps
本を買ったころ - around the time I bought a book?

Whereas ごろ is used like as a suffix with a temporal word.
二時ごろ, 春ごろ
In the previous example we made it 春のころ,now it is 春ごろ, is there any difference in meanings? Or is it as epigene said, sometimes the の is omitted?

の relates two concepts, "around/about the time" and "just came to Japan," but not as a possessive, by demarking the time as recent. Similar to 日本語を始めてすぐの頃は, 子供の頃は etc.

There is no possibility to act a nominalizer because ばかり is a particle, it isn't following after an adjective or verb.

着く頃[ころ]でしょう。

The reason we don't put つくころ is because it's not a noun or direct clause, right? But 一時 is a noun...

もっとすみません。I also will have to review ところ and ばかり because for now the only thing I can think of is, ばかり is used to also explain contextually whereas ところ (with a past tense) is just a plain statement? Can you have just the ばかり/ところ at the end of a sentence?

In the previous example we made it 春のころ,now it is 春ごろ, is there any difference in meanings? Or is it as epigene said, sometimes the の is omitted?
Start out following the general rule that ころ gets attached to eras or periods of a broader duration (学生のころ、日本にいたころ, 若いころ == の for noun phrases)、with the phonetic change for このごろ、and "ごろ" as a suffix to particular time expressions (いつごろ、何時ごろ、そのごろ、など)。

でも、多分、ほとんどの日本人にとっては、間違ってい た「ころ」と 聞こえたら、
「ごろ」として、自然に受け止めるのでしょうね。

That's why the absolute best way to learn any language is to surround yourself with it. Listen to Japanese language radio broadcasts, watch news, movies and television. Speak with your friends whenever you can. Once you can begin isolating individual phrases, the natural rhythm and flow to their speech is soooo much easier to recall and recognize than clogging up the brain on nitty-gritty things like artificial grammar points and vocabulary and doing exercises. So Soak up the minimum in vocabulary and absorb grammar rules....but at least in partial immersion for functional proficiency the FUN way ! mwhaha!!!!
:D

Last edited:
...with the phonetic change for 窶堋ア窶堙娯?堋イ窶堙ォツ、and "窶堋イ窶堙ォ" as a suffix to particular time expressions (窶堋「窶堙や?堋イ窶堙ォツ、窶ーツスナスナセ窶堋イ窶堙ォツ、窶堋サ窶堙娯?堋イ窶堙ォツ、窶堙遺?堙?ツ。

I don't know why this is but although 窶堋ア窶堙啓COLOR="Red"]窶堋イ[/COLOR]窶堙ォ takes the dakuten, 窶堋サ窶堙啓COLOR="red"]窶堋ア[/COLOR]窶堙ォ doesn't.

Ohhhh, complicated parts. No doubt there would be an asymmetry in one of the items.....so putrefaction, too, don't expect to put everything together on the first shot. :)

Sono-koro 'those days', Ano-koro 'those days.' Unpredictable, but then "those" is potentially more extended in time than "these." Better than color-coded flash-cards...lol

このごろ: in these days/recently
このころ: in this/that time
e.g.
(with watching an 80's TV show)このころは景気良かったよねぇ。このごろは全然 だけど。

probably because of the 連濁 things:)

Last edited:
Aah, I'm not sure anymore. The only ツ_ツ_窶堙系oun I've come across are things like adjectives, such as 窶氾寂?堙姑短ツーニ耽ツーツ。
That's the same usage to ツ静。窶堙娯?愬停?ケナセ or "adjectival." Blue doesn't possess sweater, does it?;-)

ツ静。窶堙娯?愬停?ケナセ (setsu or yuki?)
窶堙、窶堋ォ窶堙娯?堙??堋、窶堋ォ窶堙・窶堋、(just like this morning:))

Could you say 窶ーJ窶堙娯?ケナセ窶徭, as rainy Kyoto?
Yes.

:?I'm still then extremely confused, because the conversation started with ツ食窶堙冷?堋ス窶堙寂?堋ゥ窶堙ィ窶堙娯?堋ア窶堙ォ. I'm afraid after all these posts, I still cannot grasp why this works. I can understand ツ食窶堙冷?堋ス窶堙寂?堋ゥ窶堙ィ窶堋ア窶堙ォ, mostly, but not 窶堙娯?堋ア窶堙ォツ。
窶堙寂?堋ゥ窶堙ィ also acts like as a noun. That's why 窶堙 is needed.
ツ食窶堙冷?堋ス窶堙寂?堋ゥ窶堙ィ窶堙啓/COLOR]窶堋ア窶堙ォ窶堙啓/COLOR]ヒ彙

I'll have to read into adjectival form, but I think you mean, the past tense? Like perhaps
窶怒窶堙ー窶敞停?堙≫?堋ス窶堋ア窶堙ォ - around the time I bought a book?
Yes, becasue you bought the book in the past.
窶藩??扼窶愿コ窶怒窶堙閏b]ツ行窶堋ュ[/b]窶堋ア窶堙ォ窶堙懌?堙??堙俄?堙債、窶堙?窶堙≫?堙??堋、窶堙懌?堋ュヒ彙窶堋ケ窶堙ゥ窶堙ヲ窶堋、窶堙俄?堙遺?堙ィ窶堋ス窶堋「窶堙??堋キツ。

In the previous example we made it ツ春窶堙娯?堋ア窶堙ォツ,now it is ツ春窶堋イ窶堙ォ, is there any difference in meanings?
Basically, the same. ツ春窶堙娯?堋ア窶堙ォ is a kind of literary expression, whereas ツ春窶堋イ窶堙ォ sounds more colloquially.

The reason we don't put 窶堙や?堋ュ窶堙啓/U]窶堋ア窶堙ォ is because it's not a noun or direct clause, right? But ヒ?ェナスナセ is a noun...

That's why you can also use ヒ?ェナスナセ窶堙啓/COLOR]窶堋ア窶堙ォ(not so common, though).

I also will have to review 窶堙??堋ア窶堙ォ and 窶堙寂?堋ゥ窶堙ィ because for now the only thing I can think of is, 窶堙寂?堋ゥ窶堙ィ is used to also explain contextually whereas 窶堙??堋ア窶堙ォ (with a past tense) is just a plain statement? Can you have just the 窶堙寂?堋ゥ窶堙ィツ/窶堙??堋ア窶堙ォ at the end of a sentence?
The biggest difference is 窶堙??堋ア窶堙ォ can be used with the present or progressive tense, as explained in the textbook you quoted. This is a bit advanced but "the present/progressive tense + 窶堙寂?堋ゥ窶堙ィ" has completely different meaning.

That's why the absolute best way to learn any language is to surround yourself with it. Listen to Japanese language radio broadcasts, watch news, movies and television. Speak with your friends whenever you can. Once you can begin isolating individual phrases, the natural rhythm and flow to their speech is soooo much easier to recall and recognize than clogging up the brain on nitty-gritty things like artificial grammar points and vocabulary and doing exercises. So Soak up the minimum in vocabulary and absorb grammar rules....but at least in partial immersion for functional proficiency the FUN way ! mwhaha!!!!
Great advice!👍

Basically, the same. 春のころ is a kind of literary expression, whereas 春ごろ sounds more colloquially.
That's what I was thinking too. You see 秋のころ so much in 源氏.... 今年の秋ごろ is almost like dating a letter by comparison. lol

このころは景気良かったよねぇ。このごろは全然 だけど。
そうだなああああ....たいへん懐かしく思っている。 :(

Last edited:
56696861-1.jpg

That's the one I am comparing it to. They look almost the same in meaning, B of the 1st and D of the 2nd. But as epigene stated, it's used emphatically, so...would the first one be, perhaps, a rejection to an invitation to a dinner? And the ところ would be maybe a friend asking what you recently did?
Accepting and refusing invitations : (Or say yes hesitatingly, expecting that this reticence will be noticed...):D

さっき食べたばっかりなんだ/だけど(よね)).
さっき食べたところなんだから....

I just finished eating a while ago...
I just ate a while ago (you know....).

Alright, guys. I really reviewed every post here. ころ・ごろ will not sink into my head whatever I do, so either I am forced to put it as " __'s" as a possessive or I guess, continue to struggle with it...I'll try to struggle, but if I am forced to put it as a possessive to understand it, please understand :(

Now I'm having difficulty with this sentence.

99989601-1.jpg

As usual, I marked it as a nominalizer and of course, it didn't work out. This is really frustrating, this is merely the first page of the first chapter's grammar excersizes. I can't understand anything...

As usual, I marked it as a nominalizer and of course, it didn't work out. This is really frustrating, this is merely the first page of the first chapter's grammar excersizes. I can't understand anything...
Actually, that is not the nominalizer but the pronoun, the alternative to "town" in this case.

私が生まれた町は高山という町です。

Doesn't this make sense?;-)

I love you guys. :)

私が買ったのは、「日本語の文法」という本です。

Same thing, right?

I love you guys. :)

ナス窶樞?堋ェ窶敞停?堙≫?堋ス窶堙娯?堙債、ツ「窶愿コ窶怒ナ津ェ窶堙娯?「ツカ窶邸ツ」窶堙??堋「窶堋、窶怒窶堙??堋キツ。

Same thing, right?
👍👍 ツ ツ ツ ツ ツ ツ ツ ツ ツ ツ ツ ツ ツ ツ ツ ツ ツ ツ ツ ツ ツ ツ ツ ツ ツ ツ ツ ツ ツ ツ ツ ツ ツ ツ ツ ツ ツ ツ ツ ツ ツ ツ ツ ツ ツ ツ

I haven't seen it in this way, though. I'm used to it being at the end of a sentence. How nice!

ありがとうございます。

AIBI(After Internet Before Internet)....インターネット以前の技術使って, 習ったので、時々、私は少なくとも1,2ヶ月以上, 答えを待たなければなりませんでしたよ。

勉強の挫折に対してがまんだ。

What is there to say ? A prayer to the web. I shouted at books instead of a computer screen quite so maniacally: and then you develop a tolerance for the frustrations of learning. :D

I hear you, Elizabeth... 二つ試験がある、日本語を勉強しませんでした。。。多分試験の後で。 I have to go over the things we discussed, Chapter 22 and Chapter 23.

Genki II, Kanzen Master JLPT3 and 2 級 を買いました。

photonuh-1.jpg

Last edited:
74048443-1.jpg

I have a question on this. I understand the part before the 窶堙? I also noticed all the books like to use 窶堙 with 窶ケA窶堙ゥ, is this more preferred than 窶堙? Er, anyways, the no is what I am confused about. Is this another ツ坂?? Then the end of the sentence doesn't make sense to me. Airport until send to go (past tense)?

Thanks.

74048443-1.jpg

I have a question on this. I understand the part before the の. I also noticed all the books like to use へ with 帰る, is this more preferred than に? Er, anyways, the no is what I am confused about. Is this another 国? Then the end of the sentence doesn't make sense to me. Airport until send to go (past tense)?

Thanks.

~ので : to state the reason (sentence + ので)

~にいく : go to ~
e.g.
図書館に勉強しに行く go to the library to study
散歩に行く、散歩しに行く go for a walk

As a friend of mine is going back to his country
I went to the airport to see him off.

One of the meanings of 送る:
去って行く人と一緒に行く。
(accompany someone who is leaving, often to see off the person.)

(ア)去って行く人に、途中まで、あるいは目的地までついて行く。
e.g.
「駅まで送って行く」「車で家まで送る」
(イ)去って行く人に対し、別れる地点で名残を惜しんだり別れの挨拶したりする。
e.g.
「成田空港で両親を送った」「 A 君を送る会」
http://dictionary.goo.ne.jp/leaf/jn/24717/m0u/送る/

I also noticed all the books like to use へ with 帰る, is this more preferred than に?
Yes, へ would be more common, but you can use に, too.

Airport until send to go (past tense)?
まで indicates a destination; not only "temporal"(i.e. "until") but also "spatial."

As undrentide-san explained, 送りに行った is an ambiguous expression. It can be interpreted both as 見送りに行った and 送って行った.

空港まで見送りに行った。
I went to the airport to see him/her off.

空港まで送って行った。
I took him/her to the airport.

The reason "I" went to the airport was "a friend of mine will go back to his/her own country," or s/he hasn't gone back yet at that time. That's why the present form is used here. See below. "I" felt lonely AFTER s/he went back.

友達が国へ帰ったので、寂しくなった。
I felt lonely, because my friend went back to his/her own country.

Back
Top Bottom