What's new

Zen Buddhism

Buddhist Nuns

It's quite interesting that while in the Theravadin Buddhist traditions of SE Asia (Sri Lanka, Thailand, Burma, Cambodia, Laos, etc.) you might be hard-pressed to find a female monk (aka. nun). Yet in the Mahayana traditions found in Taiwan, the vast majority of monastics are all female. You will also find many Buddhist nuns in Tibetan Buddhism, Korean Buddhism, Vietnamese Buddhism, and even Japanese Buddhism (mainly in Japanese traditions practised in the West).

Originally posted by moyashi

Too bad I'm the type that doesn't have time to kick back and enjoy things more.

The fact that you recognize this speaks volumes about your predisposition regarding recognition of "self."

Bowing in homage to the Lotus Sutra: 🙂

http://www.sgi-usa.org/buddhism/library/Buddhism/LotusSutra/

The fact that you recognize this, speaks volumes about your predisposition in regard to recognition of "self."

I'm missing something ???
I'm really tired tonight also being 2am doesn't help.
Could you explain more?

Moyashi

Well... You said that you don't take the time to "kick back and enjoy things more," and in so stating, you imply that you recognize the importance of doing so. This proves to me that you do have quite a bit of awareness in regard to your own condition, and how to improve it.

Re: Moyashi

This proves that you do have quite a bit of awareness regarding your own condition, and how to improve it.

👍

I realize that I have to make changes, yet I can't see my own faults.
I'm always willing to change and try to become a better person; I just need to see that my current way is wrong.
:eek:

Aspects outside of my personality, I have a much better grasp on my faults, and it's only laziness, in a sense, and possibly a lack of resolve that is stopping me. I'm not so to say lazy since I'm always active --- hmmm, maybe I'm to spread out in my activities ... oh well.

Thanks for expanding on that comment!

I hear ya on the laziness part, I am soooo out of shape and lazy it's not even funny. But now I walk to and from school every day, which is a half-hour walk and if I want to go downtown to the water or mall its an hour walk or more. So I'm getting better, but I still sit on my butt a lot. But its really hard to change habits, someone told me that its lack of motivation......is that it? I feel myself to be very motivated, especially when it comes to school and volunteering....hmmm... I guess I just like to kick back and relax after a tough day at school, which is normal...i guess... :)

I suppose Zen takes a totally focused indivual to accept and appreciate the lessons and tasks apparently used by the buddist people, I have read these posts and I still cant seem to get focused on the images and sounds(links) this is probably due to my lack of knowledge and discipline, I cant apologise for this because I feel like an alien, intruding in a religion that I had no call to investigate but curiosity has made me enter the world of Zen breifly and I must admit its truely a different perspective on live than what I am accustomed too, living a live of total self awareness and discipline just is not me,(I mean that as a compliment to all of you above) my personality and attitude to my own live is what makes me unique, its my own thoughts and not "what I should think" my own path in life and "not where I nessacarily should be" 🙂 but for those of you who can take and deal with the path in live that requires total and unwavering control, discipline, self-awareness ect , I have only admiration for you, I resect it, hold it in my thoughts as a powerfull religion and a tough one.🙂

(please excuse my spelling, I lack discipline there also)

@ laziness
Laziness for me is not picking up something that has fallen on the floor actually. I take the elevator instead of the stairs out of laziness? or just because I lack the discipline to keep fit?

Haha, lot's of things to take into consideration. Sloth is probably much worse? Can anybody fill in the Catholic images involved here? I've never been much to keep up or study on the Bible.

@ Debs
My own opinion here.
Hmm, don't let the strenuous discipline scare you off. My simple understanding of Taoism and Buddhism is that essentially you lead an "Aware" Christian life. So, by trying to the best of your ability to follow the Lord's words, you essentially are doing the same as many Taoist and Buddhist.

Zen, I've always thought of as a way to train yourself further and more rigorously. Kakuzen should be able to correct my mistakes.

Cheer up and don't worry :D

A bit of Japan in N. Ireland

Dear Deborah,

I understand that living a life of total self-awareness and discipline is not what you are interested in. Still, an exciting thing about Zen is that we come to realize that none of us actually live a life of total self-awareness and discipline. Little by little, we become more mindful in our daily lives; it's not a forced effort that becomes militaristic in its regiment. Sure... I sit in zazen for about 30 minutes in the morning, and 30 minutes in the evening, but I don't spend my whole day in total and unwavering control, discipline and self-awareness.

And you might have noticed my personality in some of my writings here. I'm not saying it's necessarily a good personality, but Zen people don't walk around like zombies I assure you. And Zen is not really a religion either. We're not worshipping anything. It's just a lifestyle. Or it could be compared to brushing your teeth. You do it 2 - 3 times a day and reap the benefits along the way.

Perhaps I have given you the wrong impression about Zen... sorry about that. Maybe it would be better to visit a Zen Master in person and ask her/him what the big deal is about Zen. There are only five places you can do this in N. Ireland. The cool thing is that even if Zen still sounds unattractive to you once explained by a Master, the dojo may serve as the sort of Japanese hub in your area, and they will more than likely offer a lot of cultural festivities with yummy Japanese food.

Cork Zen Dojo
19 North Main St.
CORK
Ireland
Tel.: 353-21-4662917
E-mail: [email protected]
Internet site
Denomination: Japanese Soto School
Lineage: Taisen Deshimaru
Teacher: Alain Liebmann
Affiliated to: A.Z.I.; Galway Zen Dojo; Dublin Zen Dojo
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Copper Pipe Zen Group of Dublin
32 Collins Avenue, Killester
DUBLIN 5
Ireland
Denomination: Korean Chogye Order
Lineage: Seung Sahn
Affiliated to: Kwan Um School of Zen
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dublin Zen Dojo
11 North Great Georges St
DUBLIN
Ireland
Tel. : (+35) 01-8730944
Affiliated to: A.Z.I.; Galway Zen Dojo
Galway Zen Dojo
Bridge Mills O'Connell St.
GALWAY
Ireland
Tel. : (+35) 091-529484
Internet site
Affiliated to: A.Z.I.
Limerick Zen Dojo
Punches Cross
LIMERICK
Ireland
Tel. : (+35) 061+357118

Last edited:
@ Kakuzen🙂 "I'm impressed!, that was a wonderful gesture, I will check out the details you have left for me, and thank-you! 🙂 I don't believe that your-self or any-one else has misled me in the facts of Buddhism, I believe it was my interpretation of the facts, but now I'm a little "Wiser".

@ moyashi,
trying to the best of your ability to follow the Lord's words
, hmm now that sounds just so familiar to me, that maybe my words of "I feel like an alien, intruding in a religion" are really too strong and like you said, its a training of one's mind, 🙂

@ sloth

Well it as seen as one of "Seven Deadly Sins" and that scares me sooo much! its believed to be described as " a desire for ease in life", a slothful person will not carry out "Gods" deeds because of the effort it would entail ect, how-ever it becomes a deadly sin at the point of slowing down and causing a halt to the energy that "God" so graciously gave us, its a physically lazy and unwilling person that can only be deemed this title, but most people slow down naturally due to old age, or illness this is not considered a sin at all that's just a natural occurrence, oh! I've read it somewhere that the punishment for a slothful person in the afterlife is "thrown into a snake pit":eek: :eek:

@ sloth
"thrown into a snake pit" probably to make those folks dance and move around a bit.

Hmmm, so a couch potato would qualify as being slothful. Ouch, that's scary. Thank goodness I even use my WC time wisely ... hehe.

Deb: It's my pleasure. I would be interested to hear what Japanese-Irish Zen is like. Please let me know if you decide to follow up on any of the leads I have offered.

"Just don't do something, sit there" - unknown author

ooo...I'm a horrible person for religion; I would rather learn about world religions and experiment than stay on my own (Christianity). I don't go to church and believe in God. Yet, I don't think it's hard to explain, but the world of science has taken me over. I like to have substantial proof...(we learned all about the Scientific Method and whatnot) But don't get me wrong I still believe, I just need proof for somethings... but Zen interested me because I don't hear every five seconds that I'm "damned to a life in Hell" that people who are different (gays and lesbians) are damned to hell, (that really bothered me because my aunt and cousin are gay)...and one thing I hate the most is the past of religion. the murder and lying in the name of God just sickened me
**** I really hope that I haven't offended anyone, this is only MY opinion and shouldn't be considered an insult. It's just the way I view things ****🙂

Anastasia

Well... I'm not trying to convert anyone here. That would be impossible because, as I had stated, Zen is more of a lifestyle than a religion. Don't get me wrong. Zen is definitely an offshoot of Mahayana Buddhism, but we don't participate in worshipping a god, deity or deities. We sit and watch our breathing. And there's nothing heretical about this by any religious standards. You can be a Christian, Muslim or Jew and still practice zazen. Or you could be an Atheist and practice zazen. Straight or gay... Zen is kind of like brushing our teeth... anyone can sit in zazen regardless of their sexual preference, cultural or religious backgrounds.

So what religion do you follow personally? You've probably already said that but here is my lack of noticing detail... I don't even know if I have a religion,... I'm more like a stray that can't find a home. I think the church is too much like ..um say the white house; there is way too much politics in it for me, it's not about god anymore..am I the only one whos noticed that? (i hope not)
tell me all you can about your religion; I'm keeping my mind open to absolutely everything :)
and anyone can tell me about their religions (i already know about Christianity and catholicism) (sorry about any miss spelt words, that's probably why I'm doing so badly in English....:eek: )

Anastasia

I guess I consider myself to be more of a spiritual person than I do religious person because I don't really worship anything, and the question of if there is, or is not a God, has never been an issue for me. So I'm not really an Atheist, but I'm not a Theist either. I guess I'm more of an Agnostic when it comes to religious issues.

I try to be the best person I can be. I try to help others in any way that I can, and try not to hurt anyone along the way. My idea about spirituality is not to look for absolution from sin, but I try to learn from my own mistakes. Zen is excellent this way because it definitely allows you to introspect without harsh and critical judgment.

🙂

Book Recommendations

Buddhism Without Beliefs: A Contemporary Guide to Awakening ~ by Stephen Batchelor: Click here

Buddhism: The Religion on No-Religion ~ by Alan W. Watts: Click here

I really like the idea of just living my life and not worrying about going to hell for every little thing I do.
I guess I don't worship anything either, I don't go to church anymore, and I don't pray, I just exist. I go about my life trying to help others also in any way that I can. And I'm pretty resistant to pain, so I don't usually get hurt. I still have strong moral values that for sure ^_^
oh just a question, could Zen help one to study to their fullest? I'm having such a hard time staying focused on what I need to study, and I notice that I'm not fully understanding, no matter how many times I go over, it doesn't stick. Could Zen help my concentration in my studies?

Anastasia

It has been my experience that the regular practice of Zazen (sitting meditation) definitely is conducive to increasing my ability to remain focused and in full concentration.

I would suggest you begin by spending about 15 minutes in the morning in Zazen. You can refer back to the lectures given by Taitaku Pat Phelan for instruction on how to practice Zazen properly.

http://www.intrex.net/chzg/talklist.htm

Anastasia

Think of it as mental hygiene. If we were to calculate how many minutes we spend every day practising physical hygiene like brushing our teeth, bathing, hair care, etc., etc... and then ask how much time we actually spend each day on exercises that assist with our mental health... it should become quite obvious how neglectful we really are.

I suggest that waking up fifteen minutes earlier each day will prove to be incredibly beneficial for you if you use this time to practice Zazen. You might begin with bathing and brushing your teeth because it assists with circulation and waking up. Then before you do anything else to get ready for your day, find a place to sit in Zazen for fifteen minutes.

Let me know if you have any specific challenges while sitting in Zazen, and I will do my very best to assist you.

🙂

I think I'm still trying to get a handle on it ^_^
I will try as soon as I get over strep throat, I get up at 6:15 AM every day, to begin with, and I need all the sleep I can get till I'm all better :)

Yes... definitely get over your strep throat... but while you lay there in bed... you could count your breaths.

Inhale thinking the number 1, then exhale thinking the number 2, inhale thinking 3, exhale thinking 4, etc. up to 10 and then start over again.

Zazen when ill can be quite enlightening.

I assure you!

Get well soon... 🙂

Back
Top Bottom