What's new

Buddhism in the Arab-muslim countries...

Nichiren

先輩
21 Feb 2008
It is estimated that in the Middle East around 900,000 people, perhaps more, profess Buddhism as their religion. Buddhist adherents make up just over 0.3% of the total population of the Middle East.

The U.S. State Department's International Religious Freedom Report 2007 estimates that more than 8 million foreigners are living and working in Saudi Arabia, including Muslims and non-Muslims.

In addition to 400,000 Sri Lankans, there are a few thousand Buddhist workers from East Asia, the majority of whom are Chinese, Vietnamese, and Thai. In the U.A.E, United Arab Emirates, there were 222,200 buddhists comprising 5% of the population. A number of Tibetan-Nepalese immigrants may also be among the foreign population of Saudi Arabia.

Thus approximately 1.5% of Saudi Arabia's population – or around 400,000 people – are Buddhist, likely giving Saudi Arabia the largest Buddhist community in either the Middle East or the Arab World.

I wonder how the muslims response to the growing Buddhist groups in their land. My wish is one day, that there are Buddhist centers built side by side with respect, harmony and freedom in the arab soil..

Interesting figures!! :) Can I have a source?

My wish is one day, that there are Buddhist centers built side by side with respect, harmony and freedom in the arab soil..

I don't think that would be possible though, at least not with the current interpretations of the Islamic holy texts, where it is clearly indicated that only some religions "of the book", other than Islam (Christianity, Judaism, Zoroastrianism) are recognized as such and "respected" by the Islamic authorities..

i get this info from wikipedia..type Buddhism in the middle east

Interesting figures!! :) Can I have a source?

I don't think that would be possible though, at least not with the current interpretations of the Islamic holy texts, where it is clearly indicated that only some religions "of the book", other than Islam (Christianity, Judaism, Zoroastrianism) are recognized as such and "respected" by the Islamic authorities..

I want to tell you something about Saudi Arabia and Al-Jazeerah countries ( Saudi Arabia-Kuwait-Qatar-Bahrain-UAE-Oman-Yemen ) for a realigios reason non-muslims are not allowed to build churchs or Temples.But it's okay to build in the other arabic-islamic countries.

I wonder how the muslims response to the growing Buddhist groups in their land. My wish is one day, that there are Buddhist centers built side by side with respect, harmony and freedom in the arab soil..
they are free to do whatever they want but they must respect the Islamic Sharia.
but as i told you,they may not build thier centers in the seven countries.

(Christianity, Judaism, Zoroastrianism) are recognized as such and "respected" by the Islamic authorities..
it should be "Recognized" instead "respected" because we respect all religions but three religios are Recognized in Islam ( Christianity, Judaism, Zoroastrianism) i am not sure about Zoroastrianism.

when i was 6 age,in my country Yemen,there were many chinese workers who we respect.
they were kind people so we really respect them.

want to tell you something about Saudi Arabia and Al-Jazeerah countries ( Saudi Arabia-Kuwait-Qatar-Bahrain-UAE-Oman-Yemen ) for a realigios reason non-muslims are not allowed to build churchs or Temples.But it's okay to build in the other arabic-islamic countries.

they are free to do whatever they want but they must respect the Islamic Sharia.
but as i told you,they may not build thier centers in the seven countries.

So, the problem here is the Sharia Law? I believe not all muslim countries follows this established laws. Who made the Sharia Law? are these laws relevant in todays modern world?

it should be "Recognized" instead "respected" because we respect all religions but three religios are Recognized in Islam ( Christianity, Judaism, Zoroastrianism) i am not sure about Zoroastrianism.

So, Islam chooses which one is to be respected and which is not?

when i was 6 age,in my country Yemen,there were many chinese workers who we respect.
they were kind people so we really respect them.

I think respect is much better than recognized. Respect should start first. It is all we human beings should do transcending our differences.

So, the problem here is the Sharia Law? I believe not all muslim countries follows this established laws. Who made the Sharia Law? are these laws relevant in todays modern world?
Not all Islamic countries because sharia laws allow poeple in the other Islamic countries.
Who made the sharia !! hmm...you need to read about islam i think !

i think i already said "it should be "Recognized" instead "respected" because we respect all religions but three religios are Recognized in Islam ( Christianity, Judaism, Zoroastrianism) i am not sure about Zoroastrianism."
i mean Islam respect all religions.

I think respect is much better than recognized. Respect should start first. It is all we human beings should do transcending our differences.
Dont worry,go to one of these countries and see ^_^

Not all Islamic countries because sharia laws allow poeple in the other Islamic countries.
Who made the sharia !! hmm...you need to read about islam i think !

I am starting reading a book about Islam and its ideology(Sharia law) and its impact to both religious and secular life? would u mind give a link for these?
Also, i am interested of the ex-muslims opinion about their former religion like Wafa sultan, american-syrian psychologist. You can view some of her videos at youtube. I found out there were many versions or sects of islam. Which islamic school are u?

i think i already said "it should be "Recognized" instead "respected" because we respect all religions but three religios are Recognized in Islam ( Christianity, Judaism, Zoroastrianism) i am not sure about Zoroastrianism."
i mean Islam respect all religions.

How about Baha'i faith, Hinduism and Buddhism in the arab countries?are they recognized too? Malaysia and Indonesia(with the exception that it is democratic/secular country)being respected and recognized these religions?

Dont worry,go to one of these countries and see ^_^

I will do. I would like to visit UAE and Saudi. I will share Buddhism to them and teach to chant Nam Myoho Renge Kyo for the peace of the middle east. That would be nice. ^_^

I am starting reading a book about Islam and its ideology(Sharia law) and its impact to both religious and secular life? would u mind give a link for these?
of course ^^,click the link below:
IslamToday.com domain name is for sale. Inquire now.
you will find many sections.

Also, i am interested of the ex-muslims opinion about their former religion like Wafa sultan, american-syrian psychologist. You can view some of her videos at youtube. I found out there were many versions or sects of islam. Which islamic school are u?
i dont know Wafa Sultan !
In Iran and some small places there is a different way called "Shiah" but in All other countries it's the same way,like in Malaysia and Indonesia it's the same way as Saudi Arabia and Egypt....etc.
even though,we have One Holy Book "Qur'an" and it has not been changed since 1430 years ago.

How about Baha'i faith, Hinduism and Buddhism in the arab countries?are they recognized too? Malaysia and Indonesia(with the exception that it is democratic/secular country)being respected and recognized these religions?
Baha'i is not Muslims,they appeared several years ago.we dont know what they worship or what's their way !!
Hinduism and Buddhism are old religions and we dont have any problems with them but both are not recognized in Islam as religions from Allah (God in Jewdism & Christianity & Islam ).so some people created them i think ?

will do. I would like to visit UAE and Saudi. I will share Buddhism to them and teach to chant Nam Myoho Renge Kyo for the peace of the middle east. That would be nice. ^_^
It will be very nice to visit Arab-Islamic countries.you can share Buddhism in UAE but not in Saudi Arabia because it's not allowed !
You can create a website in Arabic about Buddhism instead of sharing it in Saudi Arabia ^^
I will be happy to read about Buddhism because one Japanese Muslim told me about the first Man who made the Japanese rules and i have a doubt if he was a prophet..( i forgot his name ).
The japanese culture includes many things we share them in Islam so if you read about Islam laws you will find some Similarities.

Thanks for your Meaningful dialogue.

I guess my understanding of Buddhism does not allow for that possibility. Not if they are even the least bit concerned of attaining enlightenment, anyway.

Wouldn't Buddhists not be afforded any protection under Islamic thought because it is not an Abrahamic religion?

Last edited:
Of course they afforded protection because we call them "Muahadeen" or "Ahl-Althemma" or "Dhimmis" it means " people who Entrust us their souls & money...etc" so we protect them and no one allow to hurt them or take their money..etc.
But the difference is like you said "Buddhists is not an Abrahamic religion" so there are some rules like we dont marry to them...

it's not that big deal at all.

In Iran and some small places there is a different way called "Shiah" but in All other countries it's the same way,like in Malaysia and Indonesia it's the same way as Saudi Arabia and Egypt....etc.

Iran are majority shiite muslims..saudi, iraq, malaysia etc are sunni..i believe they are quite different some aspects in their doctrines and practices, right?...hmmm

Baha'i is not Muslims,they appeared several years ago.we dont know what they worship or what's their way !!

Bahai faith originate in Iran by their founder/prophet Abdullah bahai.He was a revolutionary religious teacher which taught universal brotherhood and oneness of God and all abrahamic religions(judaism, christianity and islam).

Hinduism and Buddhism are old religions and we dont have any problems with them but both are not recognized in Islam as religions from Allah (God in Jewdism & Christianity & Islam ).so some people created them i think ?

Hinuduism and Buddhism are Indian religions which are pantheistic which is common eastern philosophies while abrahamic(judaistic) faiths are monotheistic [western]religions.Before the Islamic era, indian/vedic religions are widespread beleifs of the arabs. Sufism, a version of islam, were influenced by buddhism during the era.

It will be very nice to visit Arab-Islamic countries.you can share Buddhism in UAE but not
I will be happy to read about Buddhism because one Japanese Muslim told me about the first Man who made the Japanese rules and i have a doubt if he was a prophet..( i forgot his name ).

There is already an organized lay buddhist group in UAE but its very disappointing that saudi is closed-mided.

The japanese culture includes many things we share them in Islam so if you read about Islam laws you will find some Similarities.

I've been to japan very short trip. In some ways, they share samilarities especially the bushido, the way of samurai. However, japan is an open buddhist country.

its my pleasure to have dialogue with u as well...:)

But the difference is like you said "Buddhists is not an Abrahamic religion" so there are some rules like we dont marry to them...

Why not? Buddhists are like you. We are human beings. We are not defined by our religion but we share common identity as human beings. It is also what Bahai's taught about universal brotherhood that we share a common race :)

do u mean using force? buddhism never spread by force or domination but through rational dialogue.

That is a logical error on your part. I have never said it spread through force. But let us think about those Sinhalese Buddhist fascists for a moment, they're such saints.

Why not? Buddhists are like you. We are human beings. We are not defined by our religion but we share common identity as human beings. It is also what Bahai's taught about universal brotherhood that we share a common race

We belong to the same animal species, we do not all share the same delusions.

Why not? Buddhists are like you. We are human beings. We are not defined by our religion but we share common identity as human beings. It is also what Bahai's taught about universal brotherhood that we share a common race
Oh i didnt mean that we are better than you ! No,i meant we have different ways to live,to worship,style...etc.
there are better ways in Islam and Christianity than Bahai's..i saw an enterview with Bahai's and he said some weird things !!

Regards.

That is a logical error on your part. I have never said it spread through force. But let us think about those Sinhalese Buddhist fascists for a moment, they're such saints.

It would be a shame if they call themselves buddhist or they were inspired by buddhism. I doubt about it. This matter is about politcal issues. When religion collusioned with politics it would be very dangerous indeed as it would be the downfall of such religion which succumbed to authoritarianism.

AS Dr. Daisaku Ikeda, japanese educator and SGI buddhist leader, notes: "When religion dominates and oppresses people, it becomes an instrument of authority. History is filled with examples of people, who wanted only to be happy, being deceived by clergy or other religious leaders. This is an undeniable reality. Life is equally precious and sacrosanct for all people. It is a mistake to think that priests stand above lay believers, or that the president of the Soka Gakkai is more important than the organization's membership. That would be betraying the true purpose of religion."

Last edited:
]Oh i didnt mean that we are better than you ! No,i meant we have different ways to live,to worship,style...etc.

Yes, despite of superficial difference we must realize that we are all seeking happiness. All people from different cultures can co-exist by respecting other traditions. Buddhist, christians and muslims can live together in harmony by respecting and understanding one's traditions. Love knows no boundaries.It accepts who u are and not what u are.

I like to share a dubai website run by buddhist group about peace in the middle east. It says:

Looking at the world today, the Middle East is just one of the regions where tensions remain high, and there is a strong need for the parties involved or affected by these tensions to communicate and engage in dialogue. This is critical to finding a breakthrough to persistent conflicts and bringing stability to the region.

Even so, there is no need to fall into meaningless and unproductive pessimism. All these problems are caused by human beings, which means that they must have a human solution. However long the effort takes, so long as we do not abandon the work of unknotting the tangled threads of these interrelated issues, we can be certain of finding a way forward.

No efforts will gain the wholehearted support of people or succeed in bringing about lasting stability and peace without a spirit of self-mastery based on an acute awareness of the humanity of others--something that I consider to be the very essence of civilization.

We life in difficult times and in a region scarred by atrocities of war and sectarian violence. The common man is suffering and living each day without any hope in sight. It is therefore imperative that world community and specially the effected people to unite together and with a single minded determination end this violence through initiating dialogues, peace talks and through action of non-violence.

Every war has started in the human heart. And so has every great act that has changed the world for the better. In the end, peace will not be realized by politicians signing treaties. True and lasting peace will only be realized by forging life-to-life bonds of trust and friendship among the world's people. Human solidarity is built by opening our hearts to each other. This is the power of dialogue.

Towards this endeavour, SGI President Daisaku Ikeda has been making ceaseless efforts by engaging in dialogue with leading figures from all walks of life. President Ikeda has also submitted a peace proposal to the UN every year.

Daisaku Ikeda, Peace proposal 2007
Daisaku Ikeda, Peace proposal 2006
Daisaku Ikeda, Peace Proposal 2005
Daisaku Ikeda, Peace Proposal 2004

SGI Gulf is working with other bodies and agencies to make people understand themselves and one another. To understand the interconnectedness of man and his environment and the preciousness of life on this planet. On this front we have initiated the following:
Awareness for a Culture of Peace through exhibitions:
We have travelling exhibits that is being shown in various cities in the region. The focus is to create a sense of personal responsibility on matters like peace and environmental issues confronting us today.

Seeds of Change Exhibition

Boys and Girls Art Exhibition

Promoting the Earth Charter

To focus on building a growth programmes for individuals, societies, corporate and nations based on Sustainable Development. To promote healthy living, culture of respect and peace and equality in all walks of life.

link: http://www.sgidubai.org/sgi/peace.html

there are better ways in Islam and Christianity than Bahai's..i saw an enterview with Bahai's and he said some weird things !!

Bahai faith taught good stuffs and is one of the most tolerant religions. i recommend u read about them and the life and teachings of their founder Abdullah Bahai. He is much alike the revolutionary teacher Nichiren Daishonin, 13th century japan. Both these religious figures were persecuted by the existing powerful religious group at their times(by iranian and arab muslims and buddhist priests respectively) but they continue with their beliefs through peaceful dialogue and non-violent struggles.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom