What's new

Your Japanese study books.

Davey

先輩
Contributor
5 Feb 2005
While I was cleaning my house the other day I noticed the amount of Japanese study books and I was just thinking, am I the only one with so many books...

Japanese for busy people
Japanese for busy people II
Mina no Nihongo
Mina no Nihongo II
ニューアプローチ 中級日本語 基礎編 改訂版
Essential Kanji For everyday use volume 1
Essential Kanji For everyday use volume 2
助詞で変わるあなたの日本語 - All About Particles

日本語能力試験合格への道2級対策模擬テスト
日本語能力試験3級模試
Komoko Seiri- 3 kyuu Mondai-shu
Komoko Seiri- 2 kyuu Mondai-shu
Kanzen Master - JLPT Level 2 - Grammar Exercises

I enjoyed Mina no nihongo but maybe because I actually used it at my Japanese language school so I could use it the way that it should be used. Japanese for busy people was my first Japanese book, and I found it a bit difficult to use. The 日本語能力試験合格への道2級対策模擬テスト book was great because it had 4 different JLPT tests.... (nonetheless, I failed the 2級 twice.... :emoji_frowning2: )

How about you? How many and which books do you have? Which one do you like the best, use the most, or is just a waste of money.

Genki: An Integrated Course in Elementary Japanese Volume I
Genki: An Integrated Course in Elementary Japanese Volume II
Genki: An Integrated Course in Elementary Japanese Workbook Volume I
Genki: An Integrated Course in Elementary Japanese Workbook Volume I
These are the books I've used in my classes so far.

Japanese Grammar Second Edition
Short and to the point, quite useful.

A Dictionary of Japanese Particles
Useful as a particle reference since it covers over 100 particles and gives a lot of examples.

Kanji Learner's Dictionary
I love this dictionary, it's so easy to use and useful.

How To Tell the Difference Between Japanese Particles
Groups particles by usage and then aims to help in understanding when each should be used.

Japanese-English English-Japanese Dictionary
Yeah it's a regular dictionary but it's always useful to have one.

Japanese Step By Step Second Edition
Very useful, it takes a very systematic approach especially to verb conjugation and such.

501 Japanese Verbs
It's a nice verb book, though I wish it gave more examples.

A Guide to Reading and Writing Japanese Third Edition
Umm....haven't really used it and it's one of my oldest books...

Japanese Particle Workbook
See above...oops.

I also own Rosetta Stone Levels 1 and 2 for Japanese. However, I do better learning the elements that make up the larger whole than attempting to glean the meaning out of an entire sentence based on a single picture. Also, Rosetta Stone doesn't really give you any direction, no study plan so you have to be a good self-studier. I'm a better classroom learner than self-studier.

Similarly, I own Instant Immersion Japanese...two versions of it actually, the older version helped me get my initial grasp of kana...but other than that and some vocab, it didn't really help so much. It had the same problem with not giving you a study plan as Rosetta Stone. I bought the newer version a month or two ago but haven't really used it yet.

I should be getting both the genki text books, and if my parents were kind enough to get them the workbooks too :)

I have only one book. It's a Hebrew-Japanese dictionary and phrases-onary... (WHAT?!) And i study by it all the time, repeating the phrases over and over...

All my old study materials are back home but I probably have about 10 books, mostly published by the Japan Times.

Nowadays, the only reading practice I get are novels. Currently reading The Accuracy of Death, 死神の精度, By Isaka Kotaro, 伊坂幸太郎

Back
Top Bottom