What's new

Yoroi

Carl-Julien

Registered
12 Jan 2023
Hello everyone, on one of my yoroi there are some characters that I would like to know the meaning of. Is there anyone here who can help me with this, any help is welcome. Thank you in advance. kind regards. Carl

Attachments

• yoroi.JPG
    yoroi.JPG
    158.3 KB · Views: 49
Be aware that this is a date that is part of a motif that is commonly put on replica armor.
It shouldn't be taken as the date the armor was made.
I'm pretty sure the yoroi is authentic and very old. The Japanese militaria that I received through inheritance comes from an uncle who worked for years for the consulate in Japan in the 50s and 60s.

What I'm saying is that this date, "Shōhei 6, June 1st" is a common motif used on fabrics, especially fabrics used on armor.
You can find more examples of this specific date on fabric at the site below.
I'm not saying your armor isn't old, but it almost assuredly is not from 1351.

I'm pretty sure the yoroi is authentic and very old. The Japanese militaria that I received through inheritance comes from an uncle who worked for years for the consulate in Japan in the 50s and 60s.
But did they actually put the date when they made armor like this in 1351? It seems unlikely. Why would they?
But it could be a hundred+ years old replica; as mentioned here there was a boom in replica production a couple hundred years ago.

That is indeed a possibility. If it's not from 1351 but an 18th century replica, it still remains authentic and therefore 200 years old.

That is indeed a possibility. If it's not from 1351 but an 18th century replica, it still remains authentic and therefore 200 years old.
Or a 1900s replica which would still make it at least 70 years old. I guess you don't need to worry about it until you're ready to try to sell it.

Here's an example of a Shohei 6 armor recently auctioned in Japan, priced at Y149,800.

時代■ 鎧兜[頭形兜 百重刺] 正平六年 鉄黒漆塗鎧兜 前立て[月型] 家紋[瓢箪 丸に洲浜] 旗立て トンボ柄■甲冑 鎧櫃 №7952
Period: Armor helmet [head-shaped helmet with 100 stitches], Shohei 6, front stand [moon shape], family crest [gourd round and beach], flag stand, dragonfly design ■Armor, Armor chest №7952
1673725291053.png

Back
Top Bottom