What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Travel News Yamanote Line partial closure next weekend

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
Reaction score
Has this ever happened before? Yamanote Line will stop looping on 23 and 24 October due to construction work at Shibuya Station.

shibuya-station-construction.jpg

mdchachi

Reaction score
I'd be highly surprised if it hasn't happened before. But I never commuted on Yamanote so I don't recall if I've encountered it or not. I feel at one point I had to transfer to Keihin-Tohoku at Akihabara due to a situation like this.

Lothor

Freelance proofreader
Donor
Reaction score
I'd be highly surprised if it hasn't happened before. But I never commuted on Yamanote so I don't recall if I've encountered it or not. I feel at one point I had to transfer to Keihin-Tohoku at Akihabara due to a situation like this.
I commuted on the Yamanote line for 14 years and, as far as I know, this has never happened before.

mdchachi

Reaction score
I commuted on the Yamanote line for 14 years and, as far as I know, this has never happened before.
But how would you know if you weren't doing a big section of the whole loop?

Lothor

Freelance proofreader
Donor
Reaction score
But how would you know if you weren't doing a big section of the whole loop?
I was just doing Ikebukuro to Nishi Nippori but I certainly would have heard of any such closure - people would have been talking about it in the office, there would have been announcements and posters in the trains themselves, and if would have been mentioned in the news.

mdchachi

Reaction score
I was just doing Ikebukuro to Nishi Nippori but I certainly would have heard of any such closure - people would have been talking about it in the office, there would have been announcements and posters in the trains themselves, and if would have been mentioned in the news.
I find it hard to believe that a two-day weekend closure of half the loop would have been big news in the office. But maybe your office was full of die hard rail fans. :p

mdchachi

Reaction score
Ok well I had to do a Google search to support my contention that this can't be that unprecedented. Just a couple years ago you had this closure. November 16, 2019. I'm sure this date is burned in the minds of all Tokyo residents. Or at least the ones who missed their Narita flights after they missed their NEX ride at Tokyo station.

1634913352478.png

• Admin

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
Reaction score
Yesterday, the closure was on the national (TV) news the whole day long.

mdchachi

Reaction score
Yesterday, the closure was on the national (TV) news the whole day long.

Did some people have to take the bus? :eek:

Top Bottom