What's new

Working as a doctor in Japan

Tenkai

後輩
20 Aug 2013
Greetings everyone. I'm from Turkey and currently going to a medical school in Turkey. But I want to work as a doctor in Japan after graduating since I love Japanese culture, history, people and music . I researched a bit about what qualifications I need to work there- of course, I know that I should be able to write and speak fluently in Japanese so I'm learning the language-, but answers I found were vague and very different from each other. I came across a somewhat solid answer by reading "Ministerial Ordinance to
Provide for Criteria pursuant to Article 7, Paragraph 1 (2) of the Immigration Control and
Refugee Recognition Act"
, but there is a controversy regarding that as well. You see, I found two websites with the said law, and one of them has this part

2. In cases where the applicant is to practice as a medical doctor or dentist, he or she must fall under one of the following categories.

a) A person who has graduated after completing a course of medical science or dentistry at a college in Japan, and who is to practice as a trainee, at a hospital attached to a college, a college faculty of medical science, a college faculty of dentistry or a research institute of a faculty of medical science or dentistry, a hospital designated by the Minister of Health and Welfare in accordance with the provisions of Article 16-2, Paragraph 1 of the Doctors' Law (Law No. 201 of 1948) or Article 16-2, Paragraph 1 of the Dentist's Law (Law No. 202 of 1948), or at a hospital designated by the Minister of Justice in the Official Gazette as equivalent thereto, for a period not exceeding 6 years from the date of graduation.

b) A person who has graduated after completing a course of medical science or dentistry at a college in Japan, who falls under Article 41 or 42 of the Doctors' Law (Law No. 201 of 1948), or who falls under Article 42 or 43 of the Dentist Law (Law No. 202 of 1948), or who has a license valid in Japan as medical doctor or as dentist as of June 1, 1990, and who is to practice at a medical office, designated by the Minister of Justice in the Official Gazette, in an area where it is difficult to secure a medical doctor or dentist.
(KansaiNow.com Japanese Immigration Page)

While the second one has the part above replaced with this one:

)ii In cases where the applicant is to practice as a dentist,
he/she must fall under any of the following categories.

a) A person who is to practice as a trainee at a hospital
attached to a college or to the faculty of medical science,
faculty of dentistry or a research institute of the faculty of
medical science of a college, or at a hospital designated by
the Minister of Health, Labour and Welfare pursuant to the
provisions of Article 16-2, paragraph 1 of the Dentists Act (Act No. 202 of 1948) , or at a hospital designated by the
Minister of Justice in a public notice as equivalent thereto,
within a period not exceeding 6 years from the date of
receipt of a license valid in Japan to practice as a dentist.

b) A person who is to practice at a hospital or a medical
clinic designated by the Minister of Justice in a public
notice in an area where it is difficult to secure the services
of a dentist.
(https://www.cas.go.jp/jp/seisaku/hourei/data/mopcp.pdf)

As you can see, the second article doesn't mention anything related to doctors.

So I am in need of guidance. First of all, I'll have to ask for your help in clarifying this issue. Right now I'm quite confused. I don't know if I have to study medicine in Japan from scratch or enter an exam to get certified in Japan or none of those or maybe I'm not even allowed to work as a doctor. My guess is that a Japanese person familiar with laws or a foreign doctor working in Japan may be able to help.

Secondly, I'm curious about how foreigners are generally perceived in Japan, Turks in particular. I read a few articles about foreigners in Japan and some of them implied that xenophobia is common.

Related to the question above, I wonder about the working conditions of foreign doctors. I did a bit of research on that as well, and nearly all of the resources state that foreign doctors won't be employed in hospitals, they have no chance of finding work unless they open their own clinic, and even if they do Japanese patients will avoid them and that their clients will only be other foreigners in Japan. I also wonder if this is a common fact or just misfortunes encountered by a few foreign doctors. If it is a common thing, there will be no point in working in Japan and suffering through all that. It'd be wiser to visit as a tourist instead.

I hope I can get answers to my questions. Thanks in advance for all your replies and your interest.

You're not going to get a work visa unless you have gone to medical school here and passed the medical license testing here.

Xenophobia? It exists to some degree, but so what? If you come as a tourist, you are surely going to be seen as a foreigner, and that's just life. Smaller towns may have more xenophobic people, simply because they don't have as much contact with foreigners. But you'll find it in big cities, too. It's just not something to worry about.

I think you are putting the cart way before the horse here. It sounds as if you haven't even paid a visit to Japan in your life, yet you are all fired up about living here. Take my advice and come for a few visits to see what it's like.

You're not going to get a work visa unless you have gone to medical school here and passed the medical license testing here.
Not true.
You can get your qualifications in your country and become a doctor here with out going to school here at all. But, the catch is you need pass the 医師国家試験.

This is the process to become a Dr here is as follows for a typical Japanese. But you can start at number 3 and when you have completed your internship in your country and are qualified in a particular feild , you can then skip to No.5.

医者になるまでの道のり
1. 医学部受験に合格する
超難関の医学部受験。医者を目指す者にとっての最初の試練

2. 医学部(全6年制)を無事卒業する
実は受験よりも、入ってからの勉強の方が大変!留年する者も多い

3. 医師国家試験に合格する
試験は毎年3月、医学部の卒業試験後になる
内容は難しいものの、合格枠が大きいので9割近くの卒業生は合格する

4. 2年間の卒後臨床研修を全うする
肉体的・精神的・そして金銭的にも、医者の最も厳しい期間と言われる
この間に自分の専門とする診療科を決める

5. 正式な医師となる
ここまできてようやく一人前の医者と認められる

As for Xenophobia question. I have a few foreign friends who are Dr's here and they are well respected here.

Last edited:
More info on taking the 医師国家試験 after passing medical school overseas here. Looks like you need JLPT N1 just to take the exam (unless you went to school in Japan and then went to uni overseas).

Thanks for your replies, everyone. I am STILL confused because I wrote to a legal advisor(a Gyosei Shoshi Lawyer) and she replied with this:
Thank you for your inquiry.

You will need to finish a medical school in Japan and pass the qualification exam to obtain the Japanese qualification as a medical doctor to be able to qualify for Medical Services visa.
So you won't qualify for this visa by finishing a medical school in Turkey.

I hope this information is useful,

Best regards

Which conflicts with Dave's answer. I guess I'll have to ask a Japanese Consulate in Turkey to clear things up.

About xenophobia, I'm sorry if my question offended anyone. It's just that I was anxious about it because Turks are disliked in most of Europe, something I experienced in my Europe visits. Anyway, thanks for the answers, but looks like I'll have to write to ministry of foreign relations or a consulate.

More info on taking the 医師国家試験 after passing medical school overseas here. Looks like you need JLPT N1 just to take the exam (unless you went to school in Japan and then went to uni overseas).

Uh, is there an English version of this? My knowledge of Kanji is rather limited at this point and I couldn't find anything related in the English version of the website. Thank you.

Thanks for your replies, everyone. I am STILL confused because I wrote to a legal advisor(a Gyosei Shoshi Lawyer) and she replied with this:
Which conflicts with Dave's answer. I guess I'll have to ask a Japanese Consulate in Turkey to clear things up.
About xenophobia, I'm sorry if my question offended anyone. It's just that I was anxious about it because Turks are disliked in most of Europe, something I experienced in my Europe visits. Anyway, thanks for the answers, but looks like I'll have to write to ministry of foreign relations or a consulate.
Your legal advisor source is incorrect in ill-informed. If you intend on coming here as a practising Dr then you are eligible to take the 医師国家試験 test.

This is the page for the Ministry Of health, labour and welfare.

Basically, it states that if you have you are a qualified Doctor you are eligible for the 予備試験 (Preliminary test) system here in Japan.

Your legal advisor source is incorrect in ill-informed. If you intend on coming here a practicing Dr then your are eligible to take the 医師国家試験 test.

I can't tell you how glad I am to hear this, looks like I have a chance after all Thank you for helping me with this Dave, and I better focus on my Japanese studies since I need JLPT N1 as nekojita said.

It sounds as if you haven't even paid a visit to Japan in your life, yet you are all fired up about living here. Take my advice and come for a few visits to see what it's like.

Well, actually you're right about that. It'd be wiser to visit Japan a few times first. And I'll certainly do that.

Everyone, thank you for your replies and have a nice day!

He may be eligible, but getting to N1 is not easy or quick, and passing med exams will require specialized vocabulary beyond N1.

I repeat, why do you want to live here if you have never even visited?

Back
Top Bottom