What's new

"Wo" vs. "ni"

Katjov

後輩
15 Apr 2017
Hi there
I've lately been confused with when you're supposed to use either of the two particles, especially with the verb "iku". Also, could someone explain to me when you're supposed to use the particle(s) "ga/wa" with the verb "iku" and others; for example "みんな行くなら私も行く", meaning "If everyone is going, then I'll go to", why do you use "ga" instead of "wo"? Can you use "wo" in that situation, or is it gramatically incorrect?

Last edited:
に indicates the destination, and を is for the location of transfer, thus, the subject moves only on/in/at/along the location, e.g., 通りを行く "to go along the street.", 森の中を行く "to go through the forest".

が and を indicate the subject and object, respectively. みんな is the subject of 行く, and not the object. That's the reason が is used and を is ungrammatical.

Did you read our replies in your previous posts, by the way?

Thanks for the reply, it cleared up a lot of things for me. Post-wise, yes I have read them and found them very useful, as it provided a lot of insight :)

Thanks for the reply, it cleared up a lot of things for me. Post-wise, yes I have read them and found them very useful, as it provided a lot of insight :)

That's nice. Try answering the direct questions asked of you in them as well. That would help a lot.

Back
Top Bottom