What's new

Which visa should I apply for to live in Japan long-term?

Kawaiicutebunny

Registered
12 Jun 2020
I'm a British person. I'm 24 years old.

I'm not looking to work in Japan.

I'm not sure whether it would be better to stay in cheap accommodation and travel around different parts of Japan, or rent or purchase a property in the Japanese countryside or a Japanese town (I have heard that houses in the Japanese countryside are cheap and should be easier to purchase for a foreigner as there's not a lot of demand for these houses. But i'm not aware of all the responsibilities resulting in owning property in Japan).

I'm not interested in studying in Japan, but perhaps it's easier to reside in Japan long-term with a student visa than having to renew a tourist visa every 3 months.

Not possible to continue to renew a tourist visa every 3 months. Maybe you can renew it once if you have a legitimate tourist itinerary, but you won't be able to renew a tourist visa just for the purpose of "hanging out" in Japan. Student visa route is best if you wish to stay longer than three months (and have no intention of working, or marrying in Japan).

I'm a British person. I'm 24 years old.

I'm not looking to work in Japan.

I'm not sure whether it would be better to stay in cheap accommodation and travel around different parts of Japan, or rent or purchase a property in the Japanese countryside or a Japanese town (I have heard that houses in the Japanese countryside are cheap and should be easier to purchase for a foreigner as there's not a lot of demand for these houses. But i'm not aware of all the responsibilities resulting in owning property in Japan).

I'm not interested in studying in Japan, but perhaps it's easier to reside in Japan long-term with a student visa than having to renew a tourist visa every 3 months.

1) Visa:
Tourist visa will get you 90 days, extendable for another 90 days (in country)
Working holiday visa will get you 6 months, extendable for another 6 months (in country)
Long term sight-seeing (BUT you need 30,000,000 yen)

2) buying a house is impossible without permanent residence (actually not impossible BUT next to impossible)

Easiest way is probably going a language school and study J and there are many (about 50,000 - 80,000 yen per month)

Hello:

I should have separated these (I assumed that you would check the link and read about them in detail))
1) Visa:
TYPE 1: Tourist visa will get you 90 days, extendable for another 90 days (in country)
-
You can usually extend this 90 more days and you need to show that you have enough cash fro another 90 days - about 1000-2000 pounds??

TYPE 2: Working holiday visa will get you 6 months, extendable for another 6 months (in country)
- generally you need to show you have enough start ups money so that you can live off of the 20 hours (or 25 ) that you are allowed work on for this visa

Long term sight-seeing (BUT you need 30,000,000 yen)
- This is a special visa for rich people I suppose - it was on the UK webpage (the Lin I gave you)

++++++++++++
So I can't just go to Japan, stay for 90 days, extend for a few more months, leave the country for a few days to renew the visa and return?

YES, you can and you may not even have to leave - depending on which immigration brnch you go to and he prevailing winds on that day…

but you would need to show that you had been sightseeing and would continue sightseeing ( and had enough cash - about 1000- 2000 pounds - MY guess)

cheers

Back
Top Bottom