What's new

Where to go after Tokyo ?

swacker23

Registered
29 Nov 2016
hello

i need some help trying to plan my trip after my tour which ends in Tokyo the tour starts in Osaka taking in sights of the south of the island, my last night of my holiday i will spend in Toyko as im flying back from there but i have another 3 days to fill. Im looking for culture weird and wonderful hotels, relaxing retreats maybe. I look forward to any replies. Thanks.

Check out Kamakura, Hakone, or Nikko, all reasonably close to Tokyo.

hello

i need some help trying to plan my trip after my tour which ends in Tokyo the tour starts in Osaka taking in sights of the south of the island, my last night of my holiday i will spend in Toyko as im flying back from there but i have another 3 days to fill. Im looking for culture weird and wonderful hotels, relaxing retreats maybe. I look forward to any replies. Thanks.

I honestly think Yokohama gets short shrift because it's so close to Tokyo, but it has many wonderful things of its own. Do the Cup Noodle museum tour at least, it's a fun and strange experience. Though my friend from Taiwan bristled at the thought that instant Ramen wasn't a Chinese invention (I don't care, it's awful anyway). Hopping a train from Tokyo shouldn't take more than an hour-ish. When you get to Yokohama station you can take the Sea Bass (play on words of Sea Bus) to have a nice watery ride around the bay and into another area of the city.

Honestly, for all that Tokyo has to offer, I'd prefer to live in Yokohama if my work didn't require Tokyo. My friend who grew up in Yokohama and now works there describes it as a similar to Kobe, which I've heard great things about but have never been to.

Yes, I vote for Kamakura too.

It's been many years since I lived in Tokyo but I still have a very pleasant memories of Kamakura.

Do you have a rail pass still active? That expands the area a little and there are many cool destinations within two hours of Tokyo. Fukushima Aquamarine might not be in your sights but the sea food restaurant is a nice touch (and you can get tuna sushi to snack on while watching the tuna).
Yokohama has the ramen museum and the cup noodle museum, but I've only been to one so far - lots to see in the area - even if you're just walking around the local neighborhoods.

I'll be visiting the Fukushima area, Fukushima aquamarine and Oarai aquarium is also planned.

Back
Top Bottom