What's new

What's more offensive to you as Japanese?

pduff

後輩
8 Sep 2007
Hello everyone, I am actually asking a question that someone of non Japanese decent already attempted to answer for you, but I want to hear your side.
Here goes, My brother is the Host of The Human Weapon, a show on the History Channel where they explore martial arts and then have a match with somone in that art after only a week of training. In the Karate episode, my brother made a mistake during the match and let a punch slip to the face.
This being said, on the History Channel web site, people say that you would find the punch to the face more offensive then the treatment of your people during WW2. I will let you read what one person wrote so you can chime in on how you feel.
"""""Just to clear up some history points here; Contrary to popular belief, dropping the a-bomb on Japan was not an evil deed by America, but rather something that there was no other logical choice but to do. In fact, America made several warnings to Japan that they had a bomb capable of decimating their country if they didn't do the right thing and surrender, the Japanese called americas bluff, big mistake. And America didn't immediately go drop an atomic bomb because of Pearl Harbor.
Pearl Harbor was japans way of starting war against america. America then attempted to land in japan and defeat them in their own country. As it turns out, Japan at that time was still in their "way of the samurai" beliefs, thinking that it was better to die than to surrender. The Emperor made it clear to the japanese people that they would either defeat america or be totally decimated, no surrender, that would not be very samurai like. Even japanese school children were being taught to use poles in there classrooms if american invaded the area, they were ready to go all out.
Basically, America had no choice, they would either lose millions of millions of both american and japanese lives trying to defeat a small country, or just drop a huge bomb. Dropping the a-bomb let the emperor know that they would use this bomb, and that japan would lose no matter what they decided. It was the only way to make them surrender, and surprisingly, even after having a nuclear bomb dropped on them, the japanese people were disappointed and saddened by the surrender, because it went against what they believed.
Today, Japan is one of the the best friends America has, if you look at modern japan they are clearly a country that has taken after america. So please, stop talking about how the japanese feel disrespected by americans and all that nonsense. I'm guessing the japanse people of today would feel more disrespected by an illegal punch to the face than something that saved their country back in the 1940's. Most of them were not even alive during WWII. """"""
Thank you,
Patrick

You can answer to this at the history channels web site and forum for the human weapon, I can't post a link because it's not allowed by someone with so little posts..

Guessing from your name, you must be Bill's brother. I've seen the show a few times, and enjoy it when I catch it. It would be nice if the show went into a bit more depth, and paid a bit more attention to proper pronunciation (just some minor gaffs make the show look sloppy), but that's beside the point at hand.

There have been a few discussions about the atomic bombs. This is the most extensive thread on the subject: Hiroshima and Nagasaki

As for the strike to the face. Was this the Karate or Judo episode? I vaguely remember seeing that one, and as I recall, the opponent shook the strike off and the fight continued. In martial arts, it's common for people to get caught up in the moment and accidentally throw an illegal blow, and I think the senshu your brother fought (especially if he was a karateka, but even a judoka) understands this, and it probably wasn't the first time he'd been caught by an illegal strike. As long as your brother apologized for the slip, I doubt any offense was taken.

Hummmm???

All the Japanese I have met are like a lovable , cute Panda Bear deep down inside. That would be a very tame Panda Bear with no hidden savageness and very dull teeth and claws. When it comes to differences in concepts you mention, I think that comes under cultural differences. I'm sure the beliefs and concepts in China vary among your own people as well as from the rest of the world. We have often seen, trying to lable a whole country or all of it's people under one concept or idea or belief is a failed effort. I think until we have strighted out our own personal problems and then our own country's many problems, we should not even mention other countries. That old saying about let he is without sin cast the first stone, makes a lot of sense.

Uncle Frank

PS - I guess I can understand why you criticize other countries . You live in a country where if you complain about your own government you go to jail, are tortured , or even killed. If you say anything bad obout a country, government, or it's people, it had better NOT be about your OWN. Must be very frustrateing and scarey to be under your governments thumb!

Now it may be a little hard to say just exactly what the topic of this thread is, but if we were to go by the title, I think that the question is being asked to Japanese nationals...for the most part.

Back
Top Bottom