What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

What should I do next?

EagerLearner

後輩
Reaction score
Hello! When should I start expanding my Japanese vocabulary? Do I do it after mastering the three writing systems or should I start while learning?? I'm confused on what to do next after I finished learning Hiragana. :( Any reply would be dearly appreciated!

mdchachi

Reaction score
As was suggested in the other thread, it's probably best to follow a textbook which are, by design, set up in a logical order.

In any case, there's no need to wait to start learning vocabulary words. You can use them to practice reading/writing hiragana and katakana.

EagerLearner

後輩
Reaction score
I don't own any textbooks since I'm still a student and I don't want to burden my parents with money especially during the pandemic so I only rely on videos that I can find online and with language learning apps. But still, thank you very much for your response! I'll start finding printouts that'll help me with expanding and practicing the writing systems. 😁

PDB1983

Registered
Reaction score
Hello! When should I start expanding my Japanese vocabulary? Do I do it after mastering the three writing systems or should I start while learning?? I'm confused on what to do next after I finished learning Hiragana. :( Any reply would be dearly appreciated!
You should learn hiragana in order to properly link subjects together. Then, you need to learn kanji to write the nouns and topics of your sentences. I first learned Japanese by studying hiragana only. I soon realized I couldn't refer to anything because I didn't know the names. Now I can construct sentences, even though my knowledge of particles and prepositions is still a long way from being complete. I wouldn't be too much in a hurry to learn katakana. It's a oversimplified alphabet for loan words and to my eyes, an ugly form of hiragana.

Top Bottom