What's new

What does this narrator trying to says here ? こちらが焦れているのを察したのだろうか。耳の早いことだ。

zeroh4nter

後輩
17 Aug 2021
Context : The narrator is describing a man inside a horse carriage ,in the middle of a battlefield .This mysterious man (no name ??? ) is talking with his own weapon
??? : " ふむ、おまえはもうやる気か。そんなに血を吸いたいか。この欲張りめ"

Narrator : 男は半身を起こし、土煙の向こうをちらりと見つめ、銀色の髪を撫でた。

??? : " まだだ。いま出ても、手柄がうやむやになってしまう "

Narrator: 聞こえた声は、戦場を値踏みするかのようである。

こちらが焦れているのを察したのだろうか。耳の早いことだ。>> This is the sentence which I don't understand ,if anyone can please explain the meaning to me >Thanks !

P/s: added more context before this .There is a battle between the "Imperial Army" defending a castle ,versus the "Rebel Army" .The Imperial Army is losing ,their frontline started to retreat .And then 1 horse carriage running towards the frontline .The Narrator describing 2 soldiers ,they heard the sound of a man ( ???) coming out from that strange horse carriage
Narrator : 必死で盾をかまえ、突撃を受け止める官軍であったが、将軍たちの怒声もむなしく敵はまるで波が寄せて返すように打ちかかり、ついには前線の後退が始まった。

???「ふあああ。なんだか眠いな……」

Narrator: あるまじき怠惰といえよう。ここは戦場である。

だが男は、かまわず大あくびをもらす。己が戦場にいるのがわかっているのだろうか。いま目の前で味方が死んでいこうとしているのを、意にもかいさぬとはどういうわけだ。

しかし男はまるで斟酌しない。

幌を見上げながら、夢見心地で時を待っていた。

周囲はあくびに耳を疑った。聞こえたのは、四頭立ての馬車からであった。

Soldier A 「……寝息のようなものが聞こえたが……」

Soldier B: "It's coming from that horse carriage i think ..."

Soldier A「どういうことだ。いや、だいたいなぜ馬車が前線に出ている」

兵たちは、馬車に向けて怪訝な視線を向ける。

馬車には確かに人の気配がある。

だがその中にいるのは、果たして人であろうか。

どこか得体のしれぬものを感じて、兵たちは肝を冷やした。

???「鎧が黒いせいで、どうにも体が温まって眠くてしかたないぞ。早く終わらせて、一眠りしたいものだが……」

そう言って男は手にした得物を指ではじく。

得物は、幌の下で鋭い音を奏でた。

??? : " ふむ、おまえはもうやる気か。そんなに血を吸いたいか。この欲張りめ"

Narrator : 男は半身を起こし、土煙の向こうをちらりと見つめ、銀色の髪を撫でた。

??? : " まだだ。いま出ても、手柄がうやむやになってしまう "

Narrator: 聞こえた声は、戦場を値踏みするかのようである。

**こちらが焦れているのを察したのだろうか。耳の早いことだ。** >> This is the part I don't understand ,if anyone can please explain to me >Thanks !

What is the sentence following it?
声の主にとって、戦場とは市場のように打算で動くものでしか無い。
「丁原殿は利に聡いな」
丁原と呼ばれた初老は、男の闘志が燃え上がり、頂点に達しようとしていることを察した。眠いなどと抜かしていても、本心は真逆である。
丁原はにやりと笑う。
「戦には好機があるのだ、わからぬか、銀河よ」
銀河、それが男の名前であろうか。

For confirmation, isn't it actually that there are two men in the horse carriage, the no name mysterious man (= 銀河) and 丁原, and the conversation is done between them, not between the mysterious man and his weapon? It seems to me that the conversation is actually like this.

銀河 : 「鎧が黒いせいで、どうにも体が温まって眠くてしかたないぞ。早く終わらせて、一眠りしたいものだが……」
丁原 : 「ふむ、おまえはもうやる気か。そんなに血を吸いたいか。この欲張りめ」
丁原 : 「まだだ。いま出ても、手柄がうやむやになってしまう」

銀河 : 「丁原殿は利に聡いな」
丁原 :「戦には好機があるのだ、わからぬか、銀河よ」

And the narration "こちらが焦れているのを察したのだろうか。耳の早いことだ。" is the man(= 銀河)'s thoughts/impression about 丁原 in his mind.

This interpretation makes more sense, doesn't it?

For confirmation, isn't it actually that there are two men in the horse carriage, the no name mysterious man (= 銀河) and 丁原, and the conversation is done between them, not between the mysterious man and his weapon? It seems to me that the conversation is actually like this.

銀河 : 「鎧が黒いせいで、どうにも体が温まって眠くてしかたないぞ。早く終わらせて、一眠りしたいものだが……」
丁原 : 「ふむ、おまえはもうやる気か。そんなに血を吸いたいか。この欲張りめ」
丁原 : 「まだだ。いま出ても、手柄がうやむやになってしまう」

銀河 : 「丁原殿は利に聡いな」
丁原 :「戦には好機があるのだ、わからぬか、銀河よ」

And the narration "こちらが焦れているのを察したのだろうか。耳の早いことだ。" is the man(= 銀河)'s thoughts/impression about 丁原 in his mind.

This interpretation makes more sense, doesn't it?
i think that is the Narrator's line , and you were wrong about this part ,actually these are Ginga's line (the Mercenary)
銀河 Ginga: 「鎧が黒いせいで、どうにも体が温まって眠くてしかたないぞ。早く終わらせて、一眠りしたいものだが……」
「ふむ、おまえはもうやる気か。そんなに血を吸いたいか。この欲張りめ」
There is a JP guy posted his answer ,and i will post his thought here > I got my answer so thank you for helping me o/

焦れている in this case means that the Imperial army is getting stressed out that the battle is not going the way they planned. Narrator using the word こちら suggests that he is speaking as being on the side of the Imperial army. The mysterious man saying 手柄がうやむやになってしまう means that he thinks even if he comes out and joins the battle, his pay for his service will be unclear, (probably because he sees that the Imperial army is losing the battle) so he is deciding whether it is worth it for him to even come out. The fact that the mysterious man is able to assess the battle while still inside the carriage takes the narrator for a surprise. The narrator is impressed by the mysterious man's quick understanding of where the Imperial army currently stands in this battle.

Yes, the sentence in the topic is the narrator's line. It expresses Ginga's thoughts in mind, as I already wrote. Tell the Japanese guy my interpretation and ask what he thinks about it.

Even if the conversation is done between he and his weapon, 手柄がうやむやになってしまう is the weapon's opinion, not his one.

Yes, the sentence in the topic is the narrator's line. It expresses Ginga's thoughts in mind, as I already wrote. Tell the Japanese guy my interpretation and ask what he thinks about it.

Even if the conversation is done between he and his weapon, 手柄がうやむやになってしまう is the weapon's opinion, not his one.
Actually that is the voice of his Master (the one who hired him) ,trying to stop him from coming out to fight immediately .His Master said later on that he must know how to act like trader , "dropping small fish to chase after the bigger fish /goal/target " The author 's writing is vague intentionally to keep the reader (we) excited
Here is the conversation after this .I think the Imperial Army hired the Master to hire mercenary (him-ginga) ,in order to fight with the Rebel Army
Mercenary :「あんな雑魚ども、一瞬で蹴散らせる」

その発言に驚いたのは官軍である。あきらかな大言壮語であったが、銀河という男は、まるで当然のことを言っているような顔をしている。

Master:「それでは商売が成り立たぬ。雑魚など捨ておけ。大魚を釣りあげねばこんな危険な場所まで、出てきた意味もない」

銀河はにやりと笑う。もちろん銀河もそのつもりであった。

Master:「それに見よ、この敵の勢いを。雑魚と言って侮れる相手ではない」

丁原は面白そうに「雑魚」どもを評した。

初老はこう見えて戦を利に変えるくらいの経験と実力を持つ。

Master:「まるで蝗だ。目立てばこちらに殺到するぞ。千や二千を斬ったところで退きはせぬ」

敵はかえって弓槍をこちらに向けるであろう。

Mercenary:『なんとまあ、年季の入った小心ぶりよ』

Last edited:
Ah, so that's the reason why the two different quotation marks are used there. Well, this is a good example where how incredibly important the context, including unmentioned ones that will appear lately, is in Japanese. I'm pretty sure that my interpretation is also possible without any inconsistency in the context I wrote in my previous post (i.e., if it were a conversation between a hot-blooded young soldier 銀河 and an experienced old master 丁原).

Back
Top Bottom