What's new

What does "....ne" mean?

Laver2k

後輩
9 Jun 2004
Hey everyone, I just started learning Japanese so I guess youll be seeing a lot of me needing help in this forum!

I have one question so far, what does "ne" mean and when do you use it? Is it like "yo"?

Thanks,
Martin
:)

'ne' is used when you're saying something that the other person already knows. Kind of like "yada yada, hey", or "you don't like fish, do you?" or "as you know, it was expensive".

Japanese tend to use 'ne' a lot more than we use '...,hey' or '...you know' (unless you're Canadian, 'ey) :p

'yo' is basically the opposite, used when saying something that the other person doesn't know, usually when giving them information. There's not really a common English equivelant, but maybe something like "was it cheap?", "no, it was expensive, I tell you". Also, don't make the mistake I did by thinking 'yo' was a kind of exclamation mark.

Thanks!
Hate it when the book adds stuff in without telling you what it means.

ne, when placed at the end of a sentence, tends to soften the expression and make it seem more like you are inviting the other party to indicate either that they confirm what you have just said, or that they have merely been listening to you (known as 相槌 あいづち). In terms of placement, it is similar to "yo," but its intended meaning is quite different.

ne can be used all by itself, as a way to get someone's attention, usually to ask a question, such as Bucko's "hey" example.

nice gaijin said:
ne can be used all by itself, as a way to get someone's attention, usually to ask a question, such as Bucko's "hey" example.
It is all right for men to use it like this as well? (Sometimes, I've gotten feminine vibes from the info sources I've used over this year and a half.)

Men can use NE, but if you're concerned, a the rougher form NA can be used in the same way. Just don't use NA to your boss!! 😌

Hey everyone, I just started learning Japanese so I guess youll be seeing a lot of me needing help in this forum!
I have one question so far, what does "ne" mean and when do you use it? Is it like "yo"?
Thanks,
Martin
:)
ne can also stand for 'see?' or 'do you understand?'.

-"ne?" (mother)
-"yes"(kid nodding)

Back
Top Bottom