What's new

What do these もs mean?

zuotengdazuo

Sempai
8 Dec 2019
Hi. Could you have a look at the circled parts here?
8B12A58A-23E3-441A-A148-7BA80C566DEE.jpeg

Firstly, does the て mean "also"? (By the way, is the 持たれても adversative passive form?)
Secondly, does the も in 返すも mean "even if/even though"? (Why can も be followed immediately by a verb in dictionary form?)
Thank you.

(1)

Yes, the first is adversative passive.

I can see why this usage can be confusing to learners, as you might expect it to be -たら instead of -ても, but it's still a conditional implying that being subjected to the action in question (十香 showing excess interest in the radio) would be a problem for the speaker.

You'll see it often in phrases like そんなこと急に言われても困る:

The nuance could be "even if that happens (in addition to other things that might happen)", where as in some cases (like the 急に言われても example) it can have a nuance of "Well, even if you tell me [lit. I'm told] that, what do you expect me to do?"

(2)

I'm having a hard time finding an online reference for this at the moment (I have some grammar references that explain this, but not on hand at the moment) but plain form verb + も is a valid grammatical expression, e.g. 決勝まで進む大敗した。

The nuance is basically the same as 決勝まで進んでも or 決勝まで進みましたが, though it's something you're more likely to encounter in written works or literature.

If I can find a specific online grammar reference about this, I'll follow up and post it after.

plain form verb + も is a valid grammatical expression, e.g. 決勝まで進む大敗した。

Is V(plain)+も a general substitute for V(て)+も that can also be used as in (1) or is it only good for when it means something more like のに as in (2) and the example you provided?

I've always read it as exactly a substitute for V(て)+も, but I've never looked it up and now that I try to, I can't find anything.

The second も is a conjunctive particle mostly used in written language or classical Japanese, as bentenmusume-san mentioned. You can think that it's almost the same as けれども in meaning for verbs.

の解説
2[接助]形容詞・形容詞型活用語の連用形、動詞・動詞型活用語の連体形に付く。逆接の意を表す。…とも。…ても。…けれども。
「見たくも見られない」「努力するも報われなかった」

Thank you all.
十香 showing excess interest in the radio
It's 殿町 who is showing excess interest in the radio.
The nuance could be "even if that happens (in addition to other things that might happen)", where as in some cases (like the 急に言われても example) it can have a nuance of "Well, even if you tell me [lit. I'm told] that, what do you expect me to do?"
I have considered the meaning "even if" but I'm not sure how it could fit in the context?

Back
Top Bottom