What's new

Vocabulary to learn after N1

oribesaaya

Registered
19 Mar 2016
So I've recently finished my N1 vocabulary lists, and I actively practice the N1 and N2 words I've learned(and plan to continue doing this into the future), but I've recently taken a test to get a general estimate of my vocabulary, and it's sitting rather low at 10,000. According to a reference I found elsewhere on this site, the average vocab of a college-educated native speaker is 45,000 to 50,000. The difference is major. My question is, is there any sort of list for vocabulary to learn once you've conquered your N1 and N2 vocabulary lists, or are you just stuck fending for yourself? If not, what do you consider to be the next best approach?

I know a lot of people think that vocabulary is best learned through reading, writing, and generally using the language, but I like to compliment my reading and writing with solid study from a vocab list(Because when you see a word from your vocab list in a book, or vice versa, it makes a really solid mental impression).

For now I have started studying mimetic words and onomatopoeia, as they are a weakness of mine, as well as small lists of Yojijukugo and idioms, but that's only a few hundred extra. Should I just start formulating my own lists based off of all the new words I encounter?

I couldn't help you with the Japanese vocabulary, as I am only a beginner myself, but I suspect the learning process of the English language would be similar. I always make an effort to learn synonyms. Perhaps you could do the same? Any new, or old, vocabulary you come across you could search for synonyms and antonyms and learn that way?

Here is a Japanese vocabulary test mainly for native speakers.
語彙推定テスト

There are some words I've never encountered so far in the test, but I might be able to guess the meaning relatively correctly if they are used in an article, not just in a list of words. I agree with "learning through reading, writing, and generally using the language is the best way".

I would suggest working your way through kanji kentei learning materials. They'll provide a bit of context and plenty of vocabulary.

Be careful with the distinction between "compliment" and "complement", by the way.

Back
Top Bottom