What's new

Vocabulary question

Zuba

Sempai
16 Aug 2016
こんにちは。皆さんは元気ですか。

I was studying a lesson today and some words where used and I am not totally sure of their meaning. The lesson was going over allergies so the words and related to that.

First is 甲殻類 this seems to just mean crustacean.
Second is 貝類 which seems to mean shellfish.
Third is 貝 which seem to be shell or shellfish.

I am not really sure about these. If I was talking about shellfish would I use
貝 or 貝類? If I was talking about crustaceans would I use 甲殻類 or 海老?

And one last note is that I have seen egg written as 卵 or 玉子, is there any difference in meaning?

じゃ、また。

貝/貝類 refers to other shell/shellfish than crustacean, thus, clam, mussel or turban shell are 貝/貝類, not 甲殻類, and shrimp, prawn, lobster or crab are 甲殻類, not 貝/貝類.

玉子 is bird's eggs as a food such like hen's eggs or quail's eggs, whereas 卵 is eggs in general. Thus, 鶏の卵 is valid but 恐竜の玉子の化石 is not.

どうもありがとうございます。

I really appreciate the help, トリトリべさん。

じゃ、また。

こんにちは。皆さん、元気ですか。今日は休みだし、私は元気です。

I looked up the word for "rock" and 岩 and 岩石 both came up. What is the difference?

じゃ、また。

こんにちは。皆さんは元気ですか。私は絶好調です。

What is the difference between 野心 and 抱負? They both seem to mean ambition. The second was used to say New Year's resolution so I am not sure if it is special to that phrase.

On a side note, does anyone know if there are dictionaries that give a really good beak down of the nuances of Japanese words? I use Jisho and works well, but the subtle nuances between words is not listed.

じゃ、また。

どうもありがとうございます。

Thanks again. I liked the goo site. I will give it a try and see if it helps.

今晩は、皆さん。元気ですか。私は元気です。

When I use 布団 does this also cover futons here in the US? Just to be clear futon here in America generally means a bed that pulls out of a sofa.

じゃ、また。

有意義 ゆういぎ Meaningful, of interest, worthwhile. I tend to think of this as something that is interesting to you or has a good reason for doing it, like going to school for example.

よろしくお願いします。

"To have a good reason for doing it" is a good translation. It's not used for something that is just interesting to you.

どうもありがとうございます。

Thanks a lot. The nuance of this one kept causing me confusion.

どうもありがとうございます。

Thanks a lot. The nuance of this one kept causing me confusion.

It has NEVER confused ME!!!

(Probably because your mention of it was the first time I've ever seen it. I doubt you'll find it cropping up in conversation very much).

What is the difference between 完了 and 完成 both seem to mean "complete or completion."

よろしくお願いします。

What is the difference between 完了 and 完成 both seem to mean "complete or completion."

よろしくお願いします。

Man is not complete until he is married. Then he is finished.

完了 is used when some act or process is completed. 完成 indicates that some thing has been completed (reached its final/completed form...look at the component kanji).

おはようございます。

丘 おか means "hill" and 旗 はた means "flag", correct?

よろしくお願いします。じゃ、また。

おはようございます。

I was looking up the word for "valley" and I got MANY results. I have no idea which one is right. The few that I think are close are 谷, 谷間, and 渓谷. There are several more, but these are the ones that were at the top so I concluded that they have the best bet of meaning "valley." I am aware that these words do have other definitions to them, but I am not sure which are used more. For example 谷間 can mean valley or cleavage. Does it depend on the context?

よろしくお願いします。じゃ、また。

谷 has the broadest in meaning. It also can refer to river chasm in plains, for instance.
渓谷 is usually only for valley between hills or mountains.
谷間 is almost the same as 谷, but it can have figurative meanings, just like "cleavage" has.

こんばんは。皆さんは元気ですか。私は元気です。

I was studying and I came across a few words that I already thought I knew, but these ones are slightly different.

First is 留守番電話 which is answering machine, however the from I am familiar with is 留守電

And next is 電気冷蔵庫 which is refrigerator and the version I found was 冷蔵庫.

I think for these words one set is the technical way of saying it and the other is the more casual way. The longer more than likely being the more technical.

よろしくお願いします。じゃ、また。

First is 留守番電話 which is answering machine, however the from I am familiar with is 留守電

And next is 電気冷蔵庫 which is refrigerator and the version I found was 冷蔵庫.

Look carefully at them...at the kanji...and simple common sense should tell you what is going on there.

こんにちは。

I am not sure. I have been looking at them for a while now and I am just not sure. For fridge I think the longer is a electric fridge and the other is one that is not electric....maybe. I guess I lack common sense. :roflmao:

Back
Top Bottom