What's new

Views from the street: Whaling

(You'd better believe it! 😏)

I've never really tasted whale, to be honest, so I can't say whether I like it or not. But the consensus in this article seem to say "no" on this one.

They used to serve it for lunch in Japanese schools, but maybe they still do. I haven't tried any, although the local fish shop right down the street sells some. Mabye its time for me to try somethig new...

Foxtrot Uniform said:
They used to serve it for lunch in Japanese schools, but maybe they still do. I haven't tried any, although the local fish shop right down the street sells some. Mabye its time for me to try somethig new...
Forcasts call for 70% dolphin with high likelihood of mercury. :D

this article would be more representative of the japanese opinion on this issue if it had been done in Sahara... there are only 6 persons' opinion, of which 3 are foreigners and 5 are 30 years old or under.

PaulTB wrote : "Forcasts call for 70% dolphin with high likelihood of mercury."

well, it's mostly in dolphins livers that the mercury is present, so flesh is actually ok.
there is an interesting paper by Milton Freeman on this issue. it can be read in english on this webpage (Whaling Library), or in japanese here (http://www.whaling.jp/isana/isana22.html).

isanatori said:
well, it's mostly in dolphins livers that the mercury is present, so flesh is actually ok.

For sufficiently low values of 'OK'.

"While levels were lower in muscle, Endo told New Scientist that on average it still contained 2.5 to 25 times the limit."

News articles and features | New Scientist (A little bit on the old side now).

isanatori said:
there is an interesting paper by Milton Freeman on this issue. it can be read in english on this webpage (Whaling Library)
Well I guess it could when you last went there - but it's a DNS error now.
isanatori said:
The second half of http://www.whaling.jp/isana/isana22.html#04 doesn't seem to be that relevant. The first half while clearly (correctly) pointing out where the main problems are doesn't seem to address the actual levels in muscle meat.

Back
Top Bottom