What's new

verb-せる=verb-す

zuotengdazuo

Sempai
8 Dec 2019
僕たちはフェリーのレストランに向かい合って座っていて、赤シャツおとこだけが豪華な昼食を食べていて、僕は空腹を紛らわせようとレストランのBGMに意識を集中させていたところだったのだ。

Hi. Is the red part the volitional form of 紛らわせる, which is a 一段動詞 and is the same as 紛らわす and 紛らす?

And generally, is a verb ending with す always the same as its counterpart ending with せる, which is always a 一段動詞?
Thank you.

By the way, why is ていた (underlined) instead of ている used here?

Is the red part the volitional form of 紛らわせる, which is a 一段動詞 and is the same as 紛らわす and 紛らす?
Yes.

And generally, is a verb ending with す always the same as its counterpart ending with せる, which is always a 一段動詞?
Not always so. For instance, as I mentioned previously, 動かせる only works as the potential form of 動かす. The same goes with 沸かす, 乾かす, 減らす, 照らす, 生かす, 伸ばす, 流す, 離す, 隠す, etc. etc..

why is ていた (underlined) instead of ている used here?
集中させていた shows that the situation already ended (= didn't concentrate on the BGM anymore). Probably it's a moment ago, so 集中させているところだった can work well, but it could sound that they didn't fully concentrate yet at the time.

「嫌なの?士道。ーーもう精霊とデートしてデレさせるのは、嫌だっていうの?」
今までの調子とは違う、どこか大人びた雰囲気を漂わせながら、琴里が言ってくる。

Hi. What is the difference between 漂わせる and 漂わす in the second sentence? Or there is no difference, just like 巡らせる and 巡らす?

Thank you.

The meaning is the same, but 漂わしながら is almost never used. (I checked in a corpus, and got 0 result.) Similarly, the negative form 漂わさない is uncommon, so it can be considered that 漂わせる is more common at least in modern Japanese.

Thank you. But it's a pity that there doesn't seem to be a general rule (?) about when verb-せる is the same as verb-す, although you listed some exceptions in post #2.

The verbs in my previous post are exceptions. Those verbs are not so many. Generally speaking, it's considered that ~せる/す verbs are in a process of changing from ichidan verbs ~せる to godan verbs ~す now, and it differs depending on the verb which, ~せる or ~す, is more common. Actually, "漂わせる vs. 漂わす" is an exception, too. In this pair, 漂わす is the original (i.e., it was used also in classical Japanese), and 漂わせる is the causative form of 漂う. Anyway, both ~せる and ~す somehow have a causative nuance in most cases, so the point you need to pay attention would be the potential form of the verbs I mentioned in my post above.

Back
Top Bottom