What's new

Use of には in a couple of sentences

thesuker

先輩
20 May 2014
こんにちは

昨日は、日本の話を読みました。名前は浦島太郎(うらしまたろう)。とてもいい話ですよ。でも、これはわかりません: 太郎には、もう、うちがありません。。。。太郎には、もう、何もありません。

I'll explain the rest in English to make myself clear. I don't understand they use of には in those two sentences. The context is, the main character, 太郎, arrives to his hometown after 100 years and everything is gone: his family, his house... he has nothing left. Is there any special reason for which には is used and not just は?

Implied contrast and emphasis. Everybody else has a home. Everybody else has stuff.. Without the に it is just a simple statement. Taro has no home. Taro has no stuff.

In English we could accomplish this through stressing Taro had no home. Taro had no stuff.

See?

I'm probably wrong, but since earlier there was discussion of the house being gone and the sentences you quote are right after 太郎さん found out he had been gone 100 years and lost everything, the には was pointing out that where he is now, in comparison with being in 竜宮城, he has no home, no mother, nothing... But that's probably just my overly poetic way of looking at things.

EDIT: i wrote this while Mike answered. I understand now, thanks Mike. I was definitely overthinking it.

Back
Top Bottom