What's new

USA Green Card & Japanese National Health Care and Pension

maurynca

後輩
7 Oct 2011
I am hoping someone in this forum has been in my situation and can help.

I am engaged to a Japanese woman. After we marry she will get a green card and keep her Japanese Citizenship.

In this situation:

1. Can she continue to pay into and receive health care from the Japanese National system?

2. Can she continue to pay into the Japanese National Pension and receive benefits (money) when she qualifies?

Thanks for any assistance in understanding our options.

Best

Maury

I am hoping someone in this forum has been in my situation and can help.

I am engaged to a Japanese woman. After we marry she will get a green card and keep her Japanese Citizenship.

In this situation:

1. Can she continue to pay into and receive health care from the Japanese National system?

2. Can she continue to pay into the Japanese National Pension and receive benefits (money) when she qualifies?

Thanks for any assistance in understanding our options.

Best

Maury

The best I can tell you is the experience of my father who is probably 40+ years older. He was able to pay for national health and goes back frequently for treatment. I don't know if she can continue to pay to the national pension system but my father received his benefits indexed to what he paid in for the years he was in japan and paying for it, when he retired.

Hope that helps.

This is all assuming she is relocating to the USA. If you aren't she won't get a "green card" because she is not a permanent resident of the USA. In fact even if she gets a green card if she leaves the US for more than a year without permission from the government she can lose her green card.

She can continue to pay whatever she wants for national healthcare. I don't think the national health care system pays for treatment in the US though so why would you want to do this? If she returns to Japan it is very easy to "reenroll" and since she won't have any noticeable income she'll pay the minimum payments for the first year. As for pension, she's going to have to pay into the US SS system so why would she continue to pay into the Japanese one?

Back
Top Bottom