What's new

Understanding 行動 and ヌード

jboy

Registered
5 Jan 2020
Hi all, I'm a creative director and I'm working on a brand identity job for a cosmetics & soap client that has Japanese roots and wants a clever way of saying "manner and nudity" or "naked behavior" or something along these lines. The concept is about "a way of being" when naked (as one would be when using soap!) :) I want to present a variety of ideas but I certainly don't want to offend so I'm muddling my way through with Google Translate but that's not helping much.

The phrases I'm working with are:
"kodo nudo"
"dosa nudo"
"saho nudo"
"mana nudo"

But I have no idea if these make sense or if they are getting the right meaning across. If anyone can help clarify or even give me better words, I'll be eternally grateful!

ヌード almost always connotes indecent/obscene nuance in Japanese. Also, you need to know that the long vowel and short vowel should be strictly distinguished in Japanese language. For instance, "kodo" is used to represent 行動 in your first example, but it should be "kōdō" or "koudou" since "kodo" could be misinterpreted as kodo 弧度(radian), kōdo コード(code) or kodō 鼓動(heart beat)/古道(ancient road), etc.. In conclusion, those all don't make sense, I'm afraid.

ヌード almost always connotes indecent/obscene nuance in Japanese. Also, you need to know that the long vowel and short vowel should be strictly distinguished in Japanese language. For instance, "kodo" is used to represent 行動 in your first example, but it should be "kōdō" or "koudou" since "kodo" could be misinterpreted as kodo 弧度(radian), kōdo コード(code) or kodō 鼓動(heart beat)/古道(ancient road), etc.. In conclusion, those all don't make sense, I'm afraid.

Hi and thank you for your reply!! I appreciate your answer a lot. May I ask you what would be some right or appropriate ways to communicate what I'm trying to say? What kinds of words or phrases would express "manner and nudity" or "naked behavior" or "the way of being when naked" but not in an indecent way?

裸 also can have a nuance similar to ヌード, so how about using 素肌 "bare skin" instead, for instance 素肌の振る舞い suhada no furumai "behavior of/at bare skin"?

Back
Top Bottom