What's new

U can do it! Song translation proof-read please?

Janet Merai

先輩
10 Mar 2007
U can do it! - DOMINO

used in Naruto Shippuuden - Anime
15th Ending theme

Written by yu-mi, mayu(DOMINO) and shiori
Composed by yu-mi, mayu(DOMINO), shiori, WolfJunk and Hishikawa Aki
Arranged by Hishikawa Aki
Performed by DOMINO

(The - under the Kanji means my rough transliteration, the -- means proper English)

Please proof-read my attempt, even if I get it all wrong I would like suggestions and advice plus tips and insight as to what I may be missing :3

知らないを理由に逃げてばかりで
楽な道を進むのは簡単だよね
- Unknown reason to running just merely away by ease road continuing, it's so easy!
-- Without knowing it, it's so easy to keep running away from yourself!

でも今だけのこの一瞬は
誰のものでもないよ
- However this moment has no reason!
-- Even so, there's noone nor a reason to put it off!
What's going on, What's going on

小さい頃に描いてた
なりたい自分になるために
何して何を見ればいいのって
迷っちゃうときもあるよね
- When I was a child drawing to be want myself to become just for the sake what I do what to be able to see good felt like completely perplexed time!
-- As a child I drew a picture of what I wanted to be, what I did and saw felt good at the time!
--- Edit: We sometimes want to paint a picture of who we want to be and what we see as children.
Thanks to Toritribe for the insight and advice for this line.
だけど
-- Although

(Anytime)きっと今大事なもの
- Without a doubt these situations are important
(Anytime)それはここにあるから
- Because of this
(Anytime)怖がらないでそのまま
行こう 信じて
- Dont be afraid now, continue, believe!

知らないを理由に逃げてばかりで
楽な道を進むのは簡単だよね
でも今だけのこの一瞬は
誰のものでもないよ
(Translated above)

Hey, I think U can do it !
よく耳をすませて君を呼ぶ方へ
ビルの間の間まで探してみてよ
- I often hear the tail end of your voice calling out toward me from the buildings gap searching while I watch
見つかるよ きっと
自分を動かす何か
- I'll surely find it, change myself or something

答えのない道が続く
それでも諦めきれずに
何度も落ち込んで泣いたって
まだ走り続けたいの
- "There's no answer, my path continues into a depressive state gradually yet painfully I often cried," yet I keep running.

だから
However

(Anytime)悔し涙流しても
- Shed that negativity away
(Anytime)いつもそばにいるから
- I'll always be there because
(Anytime)楽しむこと忘れずに
行こう 信じて
- Enjoy yourself, don't lose it, push forward and believe

知らないを理由に逃げてばかりで
楽な道を進むのは簡単だよね
でも今だけのこの一瞬は
誰のものでもないよ
(Translated above)

何もない1日なんてない
同じように目が覚めたとしても
振り返らないで
自分を 信じて
- There's not one day similar to looking back after you had waken up, don't look back, push on, believe

知らないを理由に逃げてばかりで
楽な道を進むのは簡単だよね
でも今だけのこの一瞬は
誰のものでもないよ
(Translated above)

変わってく慣れない時間の中で
見えなくなるものもある、分かってるけど
- It takes time to change, sometimes you won't be able to see it, but understanding
でも今だけのこの一瞬は
全力で進まなきゃ
(Translated above)

Hey, I think U can do it !
よく耳をすませて君を呼ぶ方へ
ビルの間の間まで探してみてよ
見つかるよ きっと
自分を動かす何か 
(Translated above)

Last edited:
A word-to-word translation sometimes, or maybe often doesn't work well. What do you think about the structure of the sentences? For instance, in the verse 小さい頃に描いてたなりたい自分になるために何して何を見ればいいのって迷っちゃうときもあるよね, what is the main verb? What is the subject of なりたい and/or なる? What is the meaning or function of ために or って?

What you should do first is to parse the sentences, I think.

A word-to-word translation sometimes, or maybe often doesn't work well. What do you think about the structure of the sentences? For instance, in the verse 小さい頃に描いてたなりたい自分になるために何して何を見ればいいのって迷っちゃうときもあるよね, what is the main verb? What is the subject of なりたい and/or なる? What is the meaning or function of ために or って?

What you should do first is to parse the sentences, I think.

Correct me if I'm wrong but, 描いてた seems to be a verb as it has the た particle.
My other guess is 迷うちゃう but I could be wrong saying it's an adverb?

The main course is that she seems to recall drawing a depiction of what she wants to be when she was a child, so if my translation is moderately or accurate at all, she wants to become what she saw in that drawing or depiction?

The function of ために as I have read on various sites and dictionaries is that means roughly "for" or "I did it for x reason."
Of course that is just a rough interpretation :p

The って particle is like quoting or indicating actual dialogue?
Or the other usage is something is being said?

Also, what do you mean by parsing?

The main subject would be "we" because of よね.

Grammatically, the main verb of the sentence is ある, but your second guess 迷っちゃう is not incorrect. Semantically, it's the main idea of the predicate.
迷っちゃう: We wonder
迷っちゃうときもある: We sometimes wonder(lit. There are some cases that we wonder)

The two clauses 小さい頃に描いてた and なりたい modifies 自分.(描く means 心に描く, i.e, "to draw in mind" in this case.)

The core of the sentence is ~になるために、何して何を見ればいいのって(=何して何を見ればいいのかと)迷う, "We wonder 'what should I do?' and 'what should I see?' to become ~".

Persing
Parsing - Wikipedia

Ah, just a tiny thing but た is not a particle but a conjugation suffix.;-) (Although it belongs to auxiliary verbs in Japanese Grammar.)

That explains a lot :3

Although that tremendously helps, there are two parts I'm still confused with.

Why does よね turn it into "we?"
Also, why does 迷うちゃう mean we wonder?

Other than that, thank you for the help :3
I appreciate your help :3

Unlike よ, and similar to ね, よね is used to ask for agreement/confirmation. It's not the speaker's experience but "generally speaking" in this case.

It's not 迷ちゃう but 迷ちゃう.
迷う
迷うを英語で訳す - goo辞書 英和和英

小さい頃に描いてたなりたい自分になるために何して何を見ればいいのって迷っちゃうときもあるよね
(literally) We sometimes wonder 'What should we do?' and 'What should we see?' in order to become the person we wish to be, which we drew in our minds when we were child.

You can see how different this is from "As a child I drew a picture of what I wanted to be, what I did and saw felt good at the time!", "she seems to recall drawing a depiction of what she wants to be when she was a child" or "she wants to become what she saw in that drawing or depiction". You need to do these works for all the sentences. That's the translation.:)

Back
Top Bottom