What's new

Tropical Cyclone 1920 / Neoguri

TGI-ECT

先輩
6 Jan 2007
At present this one is still under the Tropical Storm banner, and it sure would be great if it stayed there and lower, but the reason this thread is being started is that I don't have confidence this one will stay down in the Tropical Storm range.

I opened my file on this one about 0500hrs yesterday morning and a very odd thing I spotted right away was that it was not listed as a tropical depression. I opened my file about two hours after JMA opened theirs for the public. I don't remember a tropical cyclone starting out right off for the general public's viewing as a tropical storm. And I have been at this for a number of years. My archives can support that, if you have doubts about my veracity on that statement.

In fact, I don't mind giving anyone that asks for it a copy of the pdf file for Typhoon Hagibis. My timestamp for my file is 1212hrs, Oct. 5th; 3 hours and 12 minutes after JMA's initial bulletin. Just send me a PM if you wish for the pdf file I have on Hagibis. It is a 20 page 1.02MB file.

But this thread is about Neoguri and that member from Okinawa that I saw posting about wishing that Hagibis had visited Okinawa; well, you might very well have caused the Typhoon Gods to grant you some sort of answer to that request.

And I have this really uncomfortable feeling that Neoguri might not be a pleasant entity churning away out there in those vast waters. In fact, I am sure some sailors are even now also not feeling too comfortable with Neoguri.

What a bummer!

Just had a thought. I wonder if typhoons help the fish in any way?

Morning TGI, thanks for your update. Its hard to say on this one, but it is a bit unusual this time of year for a typhoon. But as we all know, the weather patterns are getting a bit strange and much more dangerous to us inhabitants here on this planet. Not sure as of this morning, but isn't way east of Okinawa now?
Again, thanks for the update.
What location are you in Japan?

Rats, rats, rats!! .I just decided to take another look at JMA to be sure I was right about its location to answer that, musicisgood, and I see they updated the information and my worry --- uncomfortable feeling --- was dead on target. They added extra information about where they think it is going and it is going to make that awful turn toward the north.

By the way, to answer one of your questions, it's about SSEish of Okinawa and a fair bit out and that turn to the north means it probably won't be visiting Okinawa.

Bummer, to the max. This one could be nasty, too. But it certainly is already causing worries for the many ships out there.

That other question --- let's just say one pad is just north of the ridgeline to my south (which can protect from nasty winds from that direction) and the other pad is in a valley at a higher elevation. Oh, on Honshu, but let's try and stay away from details, please. Well, I am about the same distance from both Yokohama and Kasumigaseki and not so terribly far from Kofu. I used to work in Kasumigaseki, so that is why I like to use that bit of geography as a location marker for downtown Tokyo. In fact, I was as lucky as a human can get when those bad folks did that gas attack. I only missed that train because I had left some papers at our main office and went back to get them. Obviously, I never made it to MOFA that day.

Anyway, back on topic, it's an STS now, and now I am rather sure it will get that promotion to typhoon. What a bummer!!!

Last edited:
This just keeps getting worse. We have out there #21 and from the looks of things #21 will be close behind #20 as far as visiting the Honshu area is concerned.

Roughly estimating the situation offers an idea that possibly the 23rd to the 24th are days to have concerns about #20 and then soon after the concerns about #21.

By the way, musicisgood, I wouldn't characterize the typhoon visits in October and November and even December as significantly unusual. And an even more interesting point is that the first typhoon this year was on January 1st. By the name of Pabuk. But that one was way, way down south and visited the Malay Peninsula, if I'm remembering my geography correctly as I look at that screen grab in that file.

Anyway, back to this topic, we could have ourselves a really messy situation coming up at the end of this coming week. And I haven't even had time to properly repair pad number one and won't have before the visit of the new folks from the deep blue sea.

And I am not understanding why the earlier (earlier this year) --- why the earlier tropical storms were not forming storm ability, but now they are. I thought it was because the sea water temperatures were lower than normal, but the sea water out there now must be even cooler, yes? I am sure I have some storms in my records for this year that never got beyond the tropical storm stage and just sort of faded off into storm history without all the fanfare of a TY19.

Those two mamas confuse me very often. You know, Mother Nature and Mother Earth.

Might be a good idea, folks, to do your stocking up on possible emergency supplies early this time. Now I'm seriously considering doing some heavy shopping tomorrow. I have no idea what will be open on the 22nd, because that is an unusual holiday and some commercial folks may be closed for that day.

The new Emperor isn't going to have a very pleasant time right after the 22nd. I sure don't envy him that job.

Last edited:
This just keeps getting worse. We have out there #21 and from the looks of things #21 will be close behind #20 ...

And then 22, 23, 24, ...

I'm sorry I haven't looked thru your post history, as there might be some clues there (e.g, late last year), but I'm genuinely curious--what will you be doing when typhoon season is over? ;)

Dang, this stuff is getting serious now. And its freak'n cold at night in them shelters. I got to check out where 20 is now. Just got back from a Halloween matsuri. Took some pictures so I'll post them later.

And then 22, 23, 24, ...

I'm sorry I haven't looked thru your post history, as there might be some clues there (e.g, late last year), but I'm genuinely curious--what will you be doing when typhoon season is over? ;)

I find it quite interesting that you'd think it took me an abnormal amount of time to log what I have from the JMA site and others that relate to the typhoon activity year-by-year and would not have time for my many other activities I am engaged in. There is a vice-president at Advanced Publications, Inc., which is a billion-dollar media entity, that probably wishes your thinking were true.

And the attorney at WSA would also hope I'd get off his case for selling fraudulent passports to citizens all over this planet. Except I believe the idea of a single government on this planet is now possible --- because of the Internet.

I have come to the conclusion the Internet is something far beyond just a communications platform. It is, in fact, a huge community on a level equal to any nation on this planet, yet most humans haven't figured that out, yet. This JREF, for example, is one community of many on this platform called the Internet. A "platform" that has its own commerce, just like any nation.

Maybe you should go over to Google and find out what M.I.H. did for about 8 years before he realized that Google was not at all what they started out to be.

I work about 12 to 14 hours a day, johnnyG, and there are a lot of humans on this planet that will benefit from my work.

By the way, johnnyG, I am a retired type human on this planet. I did my time. Mostly government work. I managed some contributions to the human race when I was out there doing that work.

My only problem is my cancer has caused me to move up my schedule by about 10 years. Otherwise I have enough time in any given day to get my work done. Well, almost. I would like to slow our rotation a tad bit and extend each day a couple of hours, but I am informed by reliable sources we don't have that technology available, yet.

I work about 12 to 14 hours a day, ...
...I am a retired type ...
My only problem is my cancer ...

Well, I just wondered. I'm retired, too, but don't work.

I was in aviation once (ATC), and studied quite a bit of wx as a part of the initial FAA licensing, and of course was then pretty aware of it on a daily/hourly basis. It's been ages since I had direct access to those resources, but I've long admired what jma does and (IMO) the great job that they do. I think they should be congratulated, regularly.

Also, my upper right lobe. The gash/puckered area to the right is where they first took a piece out for testing.
Screen Shot 2019-10-21 at 10.17.00.png

Another surgery will come in January, a very different place.

Typhoon 20 is weakening and won't even be classed as a typhoon by the time it hits Honshu. Even so, the rainfall may cause problems for people who have been badly affected by the previous typhoon. Typhoon 21 is strong but its predicted course is quite far to the east of Honshu and shouldn't cause anything more than higher waves on the east coast.

You nailed it. I am so happy to see that #20 is going to typhoon heaven without making us humans as uncomfortable as that #19 did. But that #20 sure was a strange storm and probably the pro weather folks will be studying that one. And that #21 does look like it will wave a happy "How Are You" to the humans on Honshu and move on, but some of the island people may not be quite so lucky. And we shouldn't forget all those seaman/sea ladies that are affected by these storms, no matter strength.

And sorry, folks, about that tirade earlier. I got caught right after some not good news from over there in the EU area and I've probably lost a significant sum of funds due to a stupid mistake on the markets. But that's the risk when one plays that game.

Still, that tirade was uncalled for. Sorry. Really. We at JREF really are in the status of a 'mura' in/on this giant Net World and we should be nice to each other, right? That's how we'll survive in what is a mean and nasty world --- the Net World.

And, Lothor, .you have a point about rain. Seems there are still a whole mess of folks in some trouble because of #19. I also read that some 25% of the casualties from #19 were in their vehicles when they ran into bad trouble. Something to be learned there, for absolutely for sure!

I missed @TGI-ECT 's updates on Typhoon 21 which is just about to hit the Kanto region. The dogs refuse to walk and the morning commute will be a wet adventure. :(

Back
Top Bottom