What's new

translation app with reasonable accuracy

JayWhy

後輩
8 Sep 2014
moderator's note:
This post was moved from the following thread.

Because I know absolutely no Japanese, I often copy words or phrases and use a translator app to find the meaning. I know online translation can often be very different but they usually come somewhat close to the original. I tried this phrase のろけ話 through my usual translator app and it returned "Cursed Story" (which did not sound even close to the context) so then I tried Google and got "Slow Talk" which I guess is closer to the correct meaning.
Does anyone know of an app that will translate Japanese to English (besides Google) with reasonable accuracy?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not going to offend you by pointing out this, but it seems that that's not the problem of the translation software but the problem of the ability of reading kana. I suspect that the word you looked up was actually のろ話, not のろ話, at least for the first case.

There is no reliable Japanese->English machine translation. There are Japanese->English dictionaries, of course, and in this case at least JMdict (the dictionary behind jisho.org and many free JE dictionary sites and apps) includes のろけ話 as a phrase.

This term is not related to either of 呪い or 鈍い (both pronounced のろい), but your translation apps apparently both thought it was a conjugation of one of those. The actual derivation is from 惚気る (のろける) - to talk happily (fondly) about your spouse or lover to another person + 話 (はなし) a talk, a story.

In other words, an anecdote told in this fashion.

There's nothing better than Google which still sucks after all these years. But it can be useful to look at multiple sources such as the one built into Microsoft Office to see what other word choices there may be.

Back
Top Bottom