What's new

Help Translate WW2 Japense kamikazi pilot head scarf plz thx

Mike Cash

骨も命も皆此の土地に埋めよう
15 Mar 2002
My great uncle was 3rd assistant mess cook on the nuclear powered tugboat USS Ulysses S. Sassafras at the Battle of Hong Kong in 1928 when his ship was struck by a kamikazi and he captured the pilot and won his treasured Bushido head scarf from him in an arm wrestling match.(He won the guy's samerai sword too but had to give it back so the pilot could use it to commit suudoku).

Anyway, somebody can tell me what it says plz? I can't read hirigana, only katana.

FF5C3356-D6AA-401D-A1B0-3D058204B115.jpeg

Those are a list of kanji of 魚偏. As you can see an illustration of 湯飲み on the lower left corner, it's often written in goods used in sushi restaurant. So, it would be tenugui (hand towel) used there, I suppose.

EDIT:
Wait. I answered too straightly by any chance?:emoji_sweat_smile:

Nobody can answer? I asked my friend on another forum what 魚編 means and he said it was the secret name of a clan of Zainichi Ainu ninjas from Ogasawara Island. He is way fluent in Japanese because he did RTK 3 times and has almost memorized the Sazae-san theme song, so I guess he oughta know! So probably the kamikazi plane took off from Ogasawara (now I gotta find out where that is) when it attacked my great uncle's ship.

Before he hairy carried himself, the pilot wrote his samerai death haiku on the wall of the ship and my great uncle took a pitcher of it. Can anybody translate it too plz?

8462843D-D230-4A6C-A2F1-5B91DF9AEC4A.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom