What's new

Translate katana

krb

Registered
12 Apr 2022
I have a sword that was left me from my father who sadly passed away, I have tried to translate the tang,but wonder if anyone can help with it,as would like to know more about it.
687213D4-32CB-4DCF-B488-AC7AFC2628D0.png

It's upside down, and I think it is too far gone to be read, except for the second-to-the last kanji which is 宗 ( or mune).
If my guess is right, the lacquered mei is trying to be 囗囗正宗作 (something Masamune-saku). In other words, "by Masamune", in which case the writing is 99.99% certain to be a forgery.

It's upside down, and I think it is too far gone to be read, except for the second-to-the last kanji which is 宗 ( or mune).
If my guess is right, the lacquered mei is trying to be 囗囗正宗作 (something Masamune-saku). In other words, "by Masamune", in which case the writing is 99.99% certain to be a forgery.
The sword was surrendered to my father by a Japanese officer, he served in Burma,Malaya, and Singapore, it was left in a corner of his shed, the fittings all fell away,so he put new ones on,originall it had Japanese army fittings,really sharp, and apart from the tang in good shape,although my father polished it, and not sure if that was a good thing.
50FF4B71-47DB-4279-9D88-CF5B72985964.jpeg

A pic of the correct way up,I've noticed the tang seems to have been shortened,or looks like it's been chopped at some stage,
13DA1028-0F87-409F-B724-069FF5772E19.png

Self-polishing is definitely one way to ruin a Japanese sword. As it is, the tang has been already been ruined. The sword itself - we'd need to see some closer photos of the sword, without its furnishings, so that we can see the overall shape and can take a look at the grains in the steel.

Back
Top Bottom