What's new

News Tokyo police crackdown on reckless cyclists

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
14 Mar 2002
There was a long feature on reckless cycling on TBS tonight. Being an avid cyclist myself, I am exalted over this news. However, I'm afraid this will be nothing more than the regular autumn traffic safety circus: the Tokyo police have started issuing "red tickets" to cyclists. I wish they'd begin FINING them!

The Tokyo Metropolitan Police say the number of traffic accidents in the capital is on the decline, but the percentage of cases involving bicycles has been rising. Last year, the percentage was 43.6 percent. The police also say more than 78 percent of the fatal or serious accidents involved violations by cyclists. Tokyo police officers currently give bikers warnings. They do not impose penalties. Only serious violators receive traffic tickets. A so-called "red ticket" can sometimes lead to criminal charges. The police plan to start ticketing cyclists for ignoring traffic lights in October. Cyclists will also receive tickets for failing to halt at stop signs, cycle on the right-hand side of a road and slow down on sidewalks. Prosecutors will be able to charge cyclists who break the rules. Repeat violators will also have to take a safety course.

200.gif
Be safe !

Back
Top Bottom