What's new

Toilet story anyone?

Kara_Nari

Angel of Life
13 May 2005
Ok, dont think im obsessed with toilets... I know I do seem to talk a bit about them, a lot... I just thought it would be important to let people know of my humiliation at using some of the public conveniences here in Korea. Maybe we can share the humiliation? Perhaps you have similar stories from other countries? In doing this, I hope that other people aren't unfortunate enough to make the same mistake (especially if they can read the language- Im so stupid).

Ok, so its my first day in South Korea, I have never used a squat toilet... sure I have used Long drops, and spent plenty of time being careful of not touching the seat... sometimes taking my own little bottle of cleaning spray etc, I kid you not, I did that. So it was all a new and slightly intimidating experience, which I am very thankful that I now have no problem with.
Having been, in what to me at the time was 'dire' heat of extreme temperatures, I had had sooo many fluids to drink that day. Coming off of the subway I decided I needed to use the bathroom...
I had been warned to take tissue with you everywhere you went in Thailand, to use the water hose in Cambodia... however, nobody thought to tell me that I would need tissue in Korea (yes I realise now, its common sense...)
So I potter into the extremely busy restroom, wait my turn, open the door and *cringe*. I was busting I just had to go to the toilet. Squat it is!
Luckily I thought to check that there was tissue before I started, but where there is usually tissue there was a small metal box with a little button on it... Ooh Im thinking, in my slightly jet-lagged dazed state, this is cute... I have to press the button to get toilet paper. Not reading what the actual box said I pressed the button... and shock of all horrors, it goes to the bathroom attendant. I just want toilet paper! Obviously this button is for little old people who need a hand, or if something should happen to somebody and they need a little help. So in the middle of the bathroom the attendant is calling out "Yes, this is the attendant, what is the problem? Hello? Hello? Are you ok in there?..." and so on, im shrinking of embarassment at this stage, people are starting to murmur outside the cubicle wondering if the little old grandma is ok or not. So having pulled myself together, and the attendant still calling out, and im sure at this stage they have sent somebody to check.... I press the button that says 'sound of water', thinking hopefully they will just think that I pressed it by mistake. Only this isnt the flush, it literally is just the 'sound of water'. Etiquette button.
Fed up and still not replying to the attendant, I kick the floor flush and walk out pretending everything was ok... of course everybody is staring at me, and when they see that I am just a foreigner they all begin to laugh, and yes, the attendant is still trying to assess the situation.
Rather red faced, I run outside and tell my friend, "C'mon, I still need to go to the bathroom, take me home"

Im glad that prepared me for the joys of public conveniences in SE Asia... never again will I complain that Korean toilets are dirty. Anyway that can be another story another day....

Somebody elses horrible story now! ☝

Took A While To Get Used To !

The little bar where I worked in Fukuoka only had room for 1 bathroom. As you open the door, there was a stand-up urinal. Just beyond that was a stall with the trough-hole in the floor. Often I would be using the urinal when 3 or 4 ladies would come in to use the stall. The ones waiting would be crouded around to the point of rubbing against me as I tried to go. After a few drinks, it was a little easier to deal with.

Frank

😊

The only bad toilet experience I had was in Paris, at a cafe near the Sacre Coeur. The bathroom was detached. It was just like a little outhouse. It had a dirt floor with a hole, and at that time, I was about 7 months pregnant. I mean...I grew up on a farm, so there were always times I was too far from the house to go inside and had to go outside...well, you get the picture. Anyway, I had never tried to do the squatting thing while carrying a big bowling ball in my belly, so...it was quite an ordeal trying to balance myself. I'm so glad no one walked in on that sight!

OH Im so happy that I am not alone! Hahah uncle Frank, your story sounds similar to a lot of unisex restrooms here... not the most convenient.. I feel sorry for the poor guys! I always try to wait in the stall until I hear them zip up, that way it saves lots of embarrassment. However I have walked in a few times while guys are mid way through... not intentionally though.
Kirei.. that must have been absolutely horrible! I remember I had a school friend who was nearly born in a toilet, her mother just really had to go at precisely the wrong time! Its hard enough to balance without having an extra body to worry about!

Back
Top Bottom