What's new

TiTech IGP Questions

Anyone here who applied for Titech's IGP (A) Program?
(Initially wanted to apply for this program, but was suggested by my advisor to apply for the MEXT research student program instead, due to this program being very competitive)

What are some of the typical research topics in this program?
Er.. the research topics depend on the department and supervisor that you choose?

Like for example, if you're applying for School of Computing, there will be research topics in Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence, etc.

I applied and I've already sent them the full documents. My department is Systems and Control Engineering. What's yours?

I applied and I've already sent them the full documents. My department is Systems and Control Engineering. What's yours?
Sorry for the late reply!

It's a long story, but I actually ended up applying for the Tokyo Tech-University Recommended MEXT Scholarship for Research Students Program..
(Submitted the documents via email around 2 weeks ago and I just attended the Skype interview for it today.. hopefully they are satisfied with my answers though😅 )

Long story: I did tell my advisor that I wanted to apply for the IGP (A) Program when I contacted him in the first email (around early September), from then we corresponded and I revised my proposal around 4-5 times based on his feedback. Around October, he gave me his last feedback and told me I could finalize my proposal already. After that he went silent for around 1 month until I sent a follow-up email around early November to ask about my status. He apologized for the late reply and suggested me to apply for the Tokyo Tech-University Recommended MEXT Scholarship for Research Students Program if I don't mind as he told me that the IGP (A) Program is very competitive. And that I could apply for this program because my university is a partner university of Tokyo Tech.. so I decided to go with his suggestion instead.

I will be under the Department of Materials Science and Engineering.

Sorry for the late reply!

It's a long story, but I actually ended up applying for the Tokyo Tech-University Recommended MEXT Scholarship for Research Students Program..
(Submitted the documents via email around 2 weeks ago and I just attended the Skype interview for it today.. hopefully they are satisfied with my answers though😅 )

Long story: I did tell my advisor that I wanted to apply for the IGP (A) Program when I contacted him in the first email (around early September), from then we corresponded and I revised my proposal around 4-5 times based on his feedback. Around October, he gave me his last feedback and told me I could finalize my proposal already. After that he went silent for around 1 month until I sent a follow-up email around early November to ask about my status. He apologized for the late reply and suggested me to apply for the Tokyo Tech-University Recommended MEXT Scholarship for Research Students Program if I don't mind as he told me that the IGP (A) Program is very competitive. And that I could apply for this program because my university is a partner university of Tokyo Tech.. so I decided to go with his suggestion instead.

I will be under the Department of Materials Science and Engineering.

I hope you could get the MEXT for Research Students Program. My university is also a partner university of Tokyo Tech but my advisor didn't recommend the same thing.

I will have my internet interview for IGPA next week by the way. I was surprised that they asked me to prepare a PPT showing my experiences

I hope you could get the MEXT for Research Students Program. My university is also a partner university of Tokyo Tech but my advisor didn't recommend the same thing.

I will have my internet interview for IGPA next week by the way. I was surprised that they asked me to prepare a PPT showing my experiences
Thanks, same to you too😊

I guess it's because your CGPA is much higher than mine, so probably that's why your advisor didn't recommend the research student program.
(Mine is 3.43/4.00)

All the best for your interview next week!
I was also required to do a PowerPoint presentation of my graduation project and my research proposal, but surprisingly they only asked me about my graduation project and they didn't ask me anything about my research proposal at all..😂

Thanks, same to you too😊

I guess it's because your CGPA is much higher than mine, so probably that's why your advisor didn't recommend the research student program.
(Mine is 3.43/4.00)

I was also required to do a PowerPoint presentation of my graduation project and my research proposal, but surprisingly they only asked me about my graduation project and they didn't ask me anything about my research proposal at all..😂
Thank You!!

You make me scare because actually my CPA is the same as you (3.41/4) but I believe that they will only take in count the last 2 years of our academic record and convert it into their scale 3 of grade systems. Mine after the calculation is 2.8/3, which is still not a significant score for Tokyo Tech I think.

However, I had a 3-month research exchange at Tokyo Tech before at the same lab. In addition, I have got N3 Japanese certificate so I hope I could have a high chance

Thank You!!

You make me scare because actually my CPA is the same as you (3.41/4) but I believe that they will only take in count the last 2 years of our academic record and convert it into their scale 3 of grade systems. Mine after the calculation is 2.8/3, which is still not a significant score for Tokyo Tech I think.

However, I had a 3-month research exchange at Tokyo Tech before at the same lab. In addition, I have got N3 Japanese certificate so I hope I could have a high chance
Your result for the last 2 years is so much better than mine!:D
Mine was almost 2.5 after converting it to MEXT's 3 point scale .. not that good in my opinion.:cry:

You probably will have a much higher chance of getting the scholarship compared to me then(y)
(Never did any exchange in Tokyo Tech before)

I have JLPT N3 certificate too (took N1 July this year but failed, went for N2 two weeks ago.. hopefully I can pass)😀

@Nhat Luong Did Tokyo Tech send any acknowledgement email to you when they received your documents?
Because I've just sent mine around Monday, and it has been delivered to them on Tuesday (2 days ago) when I checked my tracking number..
(The research student program has a different submission dateline for the documents compared to the IGP A program, was informed by them to update my forms around last Friday and to send my documents to them by post after checking the newly filled up forms)

How did the interview go?

@Nhat Luong Did Tokyo Tech send any acknowledgement email to you when they received your documents?
Because I've just sent mine around Monday, and it has been delivered to them on Tuesday (2 days ago) when I checked my tracking number..
(The research student program has a different submission dateline for the documents compared to the IGP A program, was informed by them to update my forms around last Friday and to send my documents to them by post after checking the newly filled up forms)

How did the interview go?
Yes. They did. My document was complete so they didn't require any additional.

The Interview was moved to January 8th. My professor told me that Tokyo Tech will have a long holiday in the new year. More time to prepare.

Yes. They did. My document was complete so they didn't require any additional.

The Interview was moved to January 8th. My professor told me that Tokyo Tech will have a long holiday in the new year. More time to prepare.
I see. I still haven't received any reply from them yet even though the tracking status has shown that it has been delivered😅

Seems like I would have to wait much longer for them to acknowledge receiving my documents, as you mentioned that they are going to have a long holiday in the new year..

Thanks, same to you too😊

(Mine is 3.43/4.00)

As I know, the office will reopen on January 6.

I know our majors are different but can you tell me what they ask you about your final project? How long does it take because they give me 20 minutes for my presentation and I don't want to talk very detail because... you know, they are professors.

If their questions just about how long does it take you to finish this project or some general knowledge It would be great. I know some professors ask questions because of curiosity but some ask just for testing

As I know, the office will reopen on January 6.

I know our majors are different but can you tell me what they ask you about your final project? How long does it take because they give me 20 minutes for my presentation and I don't want to talk very detail because... you know, they are professors.

If their questions just about how long does it take you to finish this project or some general knowledge It would be great. I know some professors ask questions because of curiosity but some ask just for testing
Just found that out information from Tokyo Tech's website recently😅

My interview lasted for about 31 minutes (including presentation and q&a).
They asked me about the specifics of my final year project, like "what concentration of solution I've used in my experiments", "How do you know that this is X"..
(Surprisingly they didn't ask anything about my research proposal, not sure why)

I actually said I was "not sure" to some of the questions as some of them were too detailed..
One of the panels also said that my experimental result was good (contrary to what I've presented, where I've said that my result wasn't perfect because of XX)
So I'm not exactly feeling very confident on getting the scholarship right now:(

(Btw, sorry for the late reply)

Hi I have applied for IGP at TiTech. My interview was conducted on 6th. It lasted for 26 minutes. I could answer all the questions they asked except one or two. I'm pretty anxious as the result will be published after two months and as per mext my GPA is 2.41/3.

Hi I have applied for IGP at TiTech. My interview was conducted on 6th. It lasted for 26 minutes. I could answer all the questions they asked except one or two. I'm pretty anxious as the result will be published after two months and as per mext my GPA is 2.41/3.
Same here (I'm applying for the MEXT research student program though), I could only answer like 50% of the questions asked..

My GPA according to MEXT's conversion is pretty similar to yours too (2.4x/3) 😅

Same here (I'm applying for the MEXT research student program though), I could only answer like 50% of the questions asked..

My GPA according to MEXT's conversion is pretty similar to yours too (2.4x/3) 😅
For which program did you apply? I applied for ISSEP...

For which program did you apply? I applied for ISSEP...
I didn't apply for the IGP (A) program but I applied for the "Tokyo Tech-recommended Japanese Government (MEXT) Scholarship Students Research Student Program" instead (refer to my posts above) under the department of Materials Science and Engineering.

I didn't apply for the IGP (A) program but I applied for the "Tokyo Tech-recommended Japanese Government (MEXT) Scholarship Students Research Student Program" instead (refer to my posts above) under the department of Materials Science and Engineering.
Okay I get it. I am really getting anxious about my chances of getting selected.

I had the interview on the 8th. It lasted for 28 minutes.

The questions were strange. For example: Did you do it by yourself? How much was your robot? Which subject did you like in your undergraduate course? Only one question testing knowledge.

Same here.. I'm very nervous about my chances too as I don't know what criteria they exactly look at (and I didn't do too well for the interview either) :cry:
What I understood after discussing with many students who are currently studying at TiTech, the selection is quite competitive. However, reading all the previous threads I understood that more or less everyone got selected.

Back
Top Bottom