What's new

Update Threadloom search

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
14 Mar 2002
I'm not certain if any of our members have noticed, but we have been experimenting with a new search system for almost ten days now.

It was devised by former Google programmer and current CEO of Threadloom, Paul Lee.

Features - Threadloom Community Search

Threadloom Community Search (TCS) is cloud-based and offers a lot of advantages over Xenforo's default search engine:
  • noticeably faster
  • allows queries that consist of only 3 letters
  • improved queries in Japanese
  • securely encrypted
  • higher search relevancy
Compared with the default engine TCS promises search results of a higher relevancy, although currently only one content type - thread posts - is queried. However, Paul pointed out that they'd look into extending TCS to other content types as well: media, resources, articles, etc.

How can you try out TCS?

By clicking on the magnifier icon in the top menu or the Search link in the subnavigation on all forum pages.

The SERPs (search result pages) are default, the colour scheme is slightly altered to match JREF's design.

Screenshots:

image.png image.png

I am looking forward to your feedback.

So I guess the search function isn't such a popular feature after all. :unsure:

Could you make it so it reads our mind and requires no thought or effort on our part ? We do appreciate all you do for us to make the Forum better Thomas.

So I guess the search function isn't such a popular feature after all. :unsure:

It was so poor for so long that I think people just forgot it was there. For years I've been in the habit of going to google to search the forum.

I gave it a try yesterday and it seemed to work alright. Only time will tell how truly useful and improved it is.

Actually, I realized the renewal of the search function (and the function was not available for a while before the renewal) since I often use the search function to search my previous replies. I also use google search, but it seems like that the new search system works better than google search.👍 I tried with a phrase to add links in my reply. I got 17 hits by the new system, but only one hit by google search.

Could you make it so it reads our mind and requires no thought or effort on our part ?

In that case we'd probably no longer need a forum, lol. Thanks Frank, appreciate it!

It was so poor for so long that I think people just forgot it was there. For years I've been in the habit of going to google to search the forum. I gave it a try yesterday and it seemed to work alright. Only time will tell how truly useful and improved it is.

Thanks Mike, I have to concur. The poor state of the default search engine was the reason I joined the beta testing programme. It's going to be a paid service in the future, but the beta testers will get a year for free.

Actually, I realized the renewal of the search function (and the function was not available for a while before the renewal) since I often use the search function to search my previous replies. I also use google search, but it seems like that the new search system works better than google search. I tried with a phrase to add links in my reply. I got 17 hits by the new system, but only one hit by google search.

Now that's what I call an improvement! Thanks @Toritoribe -san! 👍

Back
Top Bottom