What's new
Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

The meaning of Homophobia

Welcome to our Japan community!

A discussion forum for all Things Japanese. Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Question: What is the meaning of 'homophobic' in your experience?

• Option5: fear of males in general(S,W)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarah Jane

the day you slipped away;
Reaction score
I believe that homophobia is the fear of gays and lesbians.

I find it to be ignorant.
I don't like it.
:eek:

But I suppose that not all fears are rational.

Reaction score
"homo" does not mean man or human. the "homo" you're thinking of (homosapien) might mean human, but its not the same "homo" used in homophobia. "homo" in homophobia comes from the same "homo" root found in the word "homogenized" where the "homo" prefix means something like "same". (homogenius means only one type.) heterogenuis means not the same type. hence homosexual meaning same sex. and heterosexual meaning a mixed sex couple. so really the phrase "homophobic" means fear of things that are the same, being together. so, fear of any gay couple.

Kirie_Maiden

Rope Shrine Maiden
Reaction score
BulletsFearTheBrave is right. Homophobia takes many forms, but it's most common is in the form of a fear of people who are attracted to the same sex. It is an actual fear and should not be used to describe people who simply DISAGREE with homosexual relationships and people who HATE or ABUSE those of a homosexual nature.

bento

後輩
Reaction score
homophobia is the a fear of interacting with, or participating in things that might seem homosexual (i.e. you'd act really apprehensive towards if a guy, or girl depending on your gender got too close,or if you saw two members of the same sex doing something like hugging.) because you're too uncomfortable with it and/or afraid you'll seem homosexual yourself.

Kirie_Maiden

Rope Shrine Maiden
Reaction score
True. It's fear of the participation and fear of anything related to or that might seem related to homosexal behaviour, including people of the homosexual nature. As I have said before, it is not simply a term to use for somebody who proclaims, "I hate gays," but for somebody who acts:

really apprehensive towards if a guy, or girl depending on your gender got too close

Sukotto

先輩
Reaction score
Yes. Homophobia is the irrational fear of gay and lesbian people (and what bento said.)

the term does not mean a disdain for conformity,
such as hitler's troops all lined up in their nice pressed color coordinated suits.

Glenn

一切皆苦
Reaction score
Thread closed because the OP had his question answered two years ago and nothing new is coming of this discussion.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom