What's new

The Fanservice Thread

:LOL: i was thinking of something along the lines of...lifting him up by his crotch area...O_O *ahem* judging by the height of the mic and whatnot...yup.

The word "fanservice" doesn't even apply when the entire point of the genre is to promote a fictionalized homoerotic fantasy to young girls.

Fanservice can be defined as elements added needlessly to a visual production that involve nothing concerning the original content, (example: a story about girl robots, one of the robots shows off her panties, needlessly so... this is fanservice).

When the entire genre is ALREADY a fetish, men in drag, air-guitaring on stage... it's hard to call their faked homoeroticism a fanservice... it's part and parcel of the genre.

Woh thats allot hard words...
Don't know what the half of them mean...
But i get your point. :)

But still, i cant resist :p

yeah i see wt you mean too but ppl do call girls with enormous boobs and very little clothing on in animes "fanservice" so why shouldnt we call wt the musicians do on stage FOR the fans "fanservice"?

@ kouji-sama
yup that's kao lifting die XD

Woh thats allot hard words...
Don't know what the half of them mean...
But i get your point. :)
But still, i cant resist :p
I agree with this.
But... also, homoeroticism isn't the whole point of Visual Kei. Really, it isn't. It is something that has obvious ties, and it makes sense that they are constantly related, but it isn't everything about Visual Kei, so it isn't completely fanservice... but I personally think it's close enough to use the word.
Also, fanservice isn't in the dictionary. I just looked it up xD. It's a term created by the fans. So really, I think it should be ok for fans to use it any way they want. Well, saying "This sandwich is some sexy fanservice!!!" would be a little rediculous. But whatever. :)

Well, saying "This sandwich is some sexy fanservice!!!" would be a little rediculous. But whatever. :)
Lol...
I think the word just fits it...
Like, They're doing something for the fans, on stage (or somewere else).
And its like ... well i dont understand, but it just fits...
Fan-service... LOL! :p

When I first started to actively attempt to look for Japanese music, (I had already become a fan of the band The Plastics), I started out on bands like X-Japan, and Glay... Visual Kei being the first genre of music I was introduced to... but I never knew a bit about what they looked like, because there wasn't that sort of information around on the internet at the time...

I stopped listening to them because I didn't like their sound, too operatic, Visual Kei makes no demands as to how a band sounds, but focuses moreso, on how they look... I know that it is not always the case, but bishounen (beautiful boys) and androgyny are main themes, especially in Oshara Kei.

The word Oshara means something close to cute-fashion, Antique Cafe are a good example of an Oshara Kei band.

If you look at the majority of threads here discussing Visual bands, they are discussing the visual aspects of those bands, not the music, so it's safe to say that these bands operate first and foremost on a visual level, and the music as I had said previously can be whatever it wants to be.

Fanservice can be likened to gratuity, I know it's a word that doesn't exist in the dictionary, but neither to words like yaoi, or shounen-ai, but we do know what those words mean... perhaps these words exist in a Japanese dictionary...

It's not gratuitous when bands who present themselves often in an androgynous way, pretend to kiss themselves, it's simply theatrics... and there is nothing wrong with that... I'm simply saying, it's not fanservice.

I know this is a lot more discussion than is normal in the J-Rock forums, but I'm done with trying to tell you all what is or isn't right, I've come to recognize that there is a duality between how people perceive Japanese culture which mostly results from some being not Japanese....

If you watch clips even, of people doing these fake little kisses in behind-the-scenes clips, you'll see them flinch away at the last moment, somewhat embarrassed... it's theatrics, that's all.

ed: I only say this because the original poster of this thread basically insults everyone for not knowing what fanservice means, when they basically didn't know what it meant themselves.

Last edited:
^
yeah okay i see your point but for me it's obvious it's theatrics cos well....they're artists so of course that's not the way they'd usually behave they know when a camera is near and they have to do some "fanservice" i just think the word is appropriate bcs it's something they do for the fans be it to earn mor money/publicity whatever....it's basically done to seduce the fan to make us buy so i think the word is appropriate but well everyone has his own opinion and i think i really understand yours....i know some people dont but not everyone is open-minded...

I really, really don't want to respond to all that, so I'm not going to.
I do understand what you're saying, I'm just really not in a thinking mood.
But, I'm sorry, I have to correct you, I'm a stupid know-it-all. It's OsharE Kei. Please spell it right.:p
Oshare means, like, well dressed, or stylish, which is where the term comes from, y'know?
I'm done being a jerk now.:)

Oshare kei is cute^__^ But anyway...I made a fanservice video for sometime ago. I did put load it up on youtube.I can send you a link if you like^___^

Oshare means, like, well dressed, or stylish, which is where the term comes from, y'know?
Yeah, my mistake... (I did know that, I could have looked it up...) Which is why I couldn't find it in the dictionary.

Still I don't think people understand what I'm saying, but, oh well.

ナ津、ナクツュ窶版ス(P); 窶堋ィナクツュ窶版ス ツ【窶堋ィ窶堋オ窶堙。窶堙ェツ】 (adj-na,adj-no) (1) (uk) smartly dressed; stylish; fashion-conscious; (n) (2) someone smartly dressed; (P) [Ex][Ex][G][GI]http://dictionary.goo.ne.jp/search.php?MT=%B8%E6%DE%AF%CD%EE&kind=je[A] [G][GI]http://dictionary.goo.ne.jp/search.php?MT=%A4%AA%DE%AF%CD%EE&kind=je[A]

U tried it...
Doomo for searching all of this! 🙂
And i understand u, in some way...
But hey, Thanks anyway :)

Can't believe I didn't find this tread some earlier
...and OMG that Fatima vid was just fan-tastic....
pleasepleaseplease, do me a big favor and post some more pics of Gackt...
😍 Miyavi pics are ofcourse also appreciated 😊

Hey yukio! I see you're behaving like a good guy,who else would save us from this very dangerous thread. Since I read all the posts before, I saw that a lot of fan-girls already lost their lives in the battle for fanservice...how tragical! Anyway, explains the lot why you have so much reputation points. Looks like once again you saved our moral standards...which is what keeps us on the right path. Despite your wise advices I can't seem to find the light...such a shame, anyway about your comment about "fake little kisses in behind-the-scenes " I understand your point yessss, but look what they do ON stage:
Anyway, dear fangirls I know this has been posted already, please forgive me...but I coudn't resist to bring this vid up again...kyaa it has some weird backsound though, but that's not the point: Lay and Mizuha ^__^ kiss

Last edited:
Wee, I wanna post some pics too 🙂 Dunno if some of them's already been posted before but, here goes:

Attachments

• 2wgwy91.jpg
    2wgwy91.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 179
  • jrcok_05.jpg
    jrcok_05.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 144
  • uchiryo03.jpg
    uchiryo03.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 122
Aww... :)

I love Fanservice and because of this topic im dead x150 000 000 times 🙂

Fanservice makes me jump around 😍

MORE PLEASE MORE 😍😍😍😍

*nosebleeds* holy crap... ☝*runs around stealing all the pics* :LOL: wow.. best forum ever...actually it's my first forum ever...so thanks!!!!!!:)

"Fanservice" slightly frightens me. (Don't kill me for this, but Gackt takes fanservice to far!)
I understand wanting to make the fans "want more" because I admit that sometimes (when it involves my bands) I love fanservice but they don't act so homosexual as some bands I have seen. I see fanservice as letting the fan use their imaginations not... well all this O.O

If you disagree then go ahead and say why you do. I would like to hear some other opinions on this topic :p

Yeah, I love that one! But the one that kills me and not in the good way is the third one! DAMN THAT F---ING HAT!!!! Grar!

Don't know if this one coutns or not but I don't care
Gackt94-1.jpg

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 😍 😍 😍 😍 😍 😍 *dies*
Wait WHERE WAS THIS IM SCREAMING😭😭😭😭😭💀
bb35afd761e25a3970709b5a6abfb3ca.jpg

Back
Top Bottom