What's new

Terrorism threat in Yemen !

Today News:
reuters said:
Yemen has sent thousands of troops to take part in a campaign against al Qaeda in three provinces, and authorities have already detained five suspected fighters from the group, a security source said on Tuesday.

"The campaign is continuing in the capital and in the provinces of Shabwa and Maarib," the source told Reuters, on condition of anonymity. The manhunt was also going on in the southern province of Abyan. There were no further details.

The American embassy in Yemen reopened after a raid that killed two al Qaeda militants dealt with specific security concerns which had forced U.S. and European missions to close, the embassy said.
They are doing good.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100106/ap_on_re_mi_ea/ml_yemen_al_qaida

Yemen opposes any US troops in terror fight

The news article above is pretty closely related to some things Hezam brought up so I thought it would be a good post here.

While I admit I know VERY little about the situation, if they Yemen government has stepped up and is actively dealing with terrorist groups (which it seems to be) I can understand why they wouldn't want the US jumping in to the middle of things and I agree it would likely make things MUCH more dangerous if they did get in the middle of it at this point. If the government of the country itself can be supported with this, then it seems to be the best option to simply support that option and stand back.

Exactly as you said,Yemeni people hate foreign intervention,The Ottoman & The British & the Egyptians & the Russians,all of them have been defeated when they tried to Occupy Yemen.
It's a very dangerous region,Poeple have weapons and they are skilled ( the Tribes have Tanks and Heavy guns and missiles )....
When i was 6 years old,I lived in a village for one week where two Tribes fight each other with heavy guns and bazookas...It was like match not real war !!

BUT this Corrupt government must do something for the people,They started joining Al-Qaeda and Shiite because they are very poor,No water,No electricity,No jobs...etc.
I am afraid that things get worse.

Two persons were arrested for Suspected from AlQaeda.
UK embassy and France embassy opend today.

This Time i have to say "Thanks America for supporting Yemen"
They did the right thing and Yemeni PEOPLE need help.

I'd say that I hope that the US foreign policy on this sort of thing is changing, but I have never had that level of blind faith in any government and never will. So I just hope for things going the "least" bad that they can.

Good to see Yemen may be finally cooperating against the terrorists.

Many Americans lost confidence and sympathy for that country after they allowed the USS Cole bombers to "escape" from prison.

Again, as I mentioned in another post, ("It's All About The Oil, Stupid"), it seems to me that this is more about Yemen's oil reserves and their strategic location in getting that oil out to China, the US and the rest of the world more than a "terrorist" threat. Yemen is also vital and could also be used to halt the supply of oil to China if the need arises for the US to use that chess piece.

In an article entitled, "Yemen, Behind The Al-Qaeda Scenarios, A Geopolitical Chokepoint to Eurasia", the author lays out some pretty good points that one will not hear on the local news or read in the local papers and makes one wonder if there really is a terrorist threat or an implied one especially since the "Crotch Bomber" was reported to the US embassy by his own father and nothing was done about it. Here are some excerpts from the article:

"…For some months the world has seen a steady escalation of US military involvement in Yemen, a dismally poor land adjacent to Saudi Arabia on its north, the Red Sea on its west, the Gulf of Aden on its south, opening to the Arabian Sea, overlooking another desolate land that has been in the headlines of late, Somalia. The evidence suggests that the Pentagon and US intelligence are moving to militarize a strategic chokepoint for the world's oil flows, Bab el-Mandab, and using the Somalia piracy incident, together with claims of a new Al Qaeda threat arising from Yemen, to militarize one of the world's most important oil transport routes. In addition, undeveloped petroleum reserves in the territory between Yemen and Saudi Arabia are reportedly among the world's largest."
(My emphasis)

image0012029-1.jpg
Yemen straddles one of the world's most strategic oil passages, Bab el-Mandab

"…What about al-Qaeda?

The picture that emerges is one of a desperate US-backed dictator, Yemen's President Saleh, increasingly losing control after two decades as despotic ruler of the unified Yemen. Economic conditions in the country took a drastic downward slide in 2008 when world oil prices collapsed. Some 70% of the state revenues derive from Yemen's oil sales. The central government of Saleh sits in former North Yemen in Sana'a, while the oil is in former South Yemen. Yet Saleh controls the oil revenue flows. Lack of oil revenue has made Saleh's usual option of buying off opposition groups all but impossible."

"…Into this chaotic domestic picture comes the January 2009 announcement, prominently featured in select Internet websites, that al-Qaeda, the alleged global terrorist organization created by the late CIA-trained Saudi, Osama bin Laden, has opened a major new branch in Yemen for both Yemen and Saudi operations."

"…According to US intelligence reports, there are a grand total of perhaps 200 al Qaeda members in southern Yemen."

"…The curious emergence of a tiny but well-publicized al Qaeda in southern Yemen amid what observers call a broad-based popular-based Southern Movement front that eschews the radical global agenda of al Qaeda, serves to give the Pentagon a kind of casus belli to escalate US military operations in the strategic region."

"…Somali Pirates escalate as if on cue

As if on cue, at the same time CNN headlines broadcast new terror threats from Yemen, the long-running Somalia pirate attacks on commercial shipping in the same Gulf of Aden and Arabian Sea across from southern Yemen escalated dramatically after having been reduced by multinational ship patrols.

On December 29, Moscow's RAI Novosti reported that Somali pirates seized a Greek cargo vessel in the Gulf of Aden off Somalia's coast. Earlier the same day a British-flagged chemical tanker and its 26 crew were also seized in the Gulf of Aden. In a sign of sophisticated skills in using western media, pirate commander Mohamed Shakir told the British newspaper The Times by phone, "We have hijacked a ship with [a] British flag in the Gulf of Aden late yesterday." The US intelligence brief, Stratfor, reports that The Times, owned by neo-conservative financial backer, Rupert Murdoch, is sometimes used by Israeli intelligence to plant useful stories.

The two latest events brought a record number of attacks and hijackings for 2009. As of December 22, attacks by Somali pirates in the Gulf of Aden and the east coast of Somalia numbered 174, with 35 vessels hijacked and 587 crew taken hostage so far in 2009, almost all successful pirate activity, according to the International Maritime Bureau's Piracy Reporting Center. The open question is, who is providing the Somali "pirates" with arms and logistics sufficient to elude international patrols from numerous nations? "

image0042012-1.jpg

Yemen and Somalia form the jaws of a vice that could choke off vital Chinese and other Asian oil flows.

"…An excuse for a US or NATO militarization of the waters around Bab el-Mandab would give Washington another major link in its pursuit of control of the seven most critical oil chokepoints around the world, a major part of any future US strategy aimed at denying oil flows to China, the EU or any region or country that opposes US policy. Given that significant flows of Saudi oil pass through Bab el-Mandab, a US military control there would serve to deter the Saudi Kingdom from becoming serious about transacting future oil sales with China or others no longer in dollars, as was recently reported by UK Independent journalist Robert Fisk.

It would also be in a position to threaten China's oil transport from Port Sudan on the Red Sea just north of Bab el-Mandab, a major lifeline in China's national energy needs. "

I still believe, based on "outside the box" reading that this is more about the oil supply, the pipelines throughout the area (notably Afghanistan, Pakistan, against Iran, etc) and the control of the flow of energy to the rest of the world. Don't get me wrong here, there is a real terrorist threat to be sure, but one has to wonder if this terrorism is being allowed to happen for strategic US interests and to convince the American people that the threat is against them and to keep their attention diverted elsewhere, like on direct terrorism threats, rather than the US's control of the worlds oil supply.

Sometimes I just shake my head when I read things like this and wonder if it is actually happening and just what the heck is actually going on. In today's screwed up world one can never know just what to believe, but I can guarantee one thing, what you read or hear from the "mainstream" news in any country is not the whole truth although many believe it is.

WOW Pachipro !
I never thought about that !
But how could you knew about the case ! it's hard since you live in the US ..
Thank you for the great info.

Ah, conspiracy theories! Don't you just love a good, intricate tale of intrigue?

Oil obviously does affect the US approach to the Middle East. But I don't buy the above story. I think the explanation is much simpler, less belligerent, and more practical. The US doesn't want to threaten China's oil supply; they own so much of our government's debt that the US will do almost anything to avoid pissing them off. If we cut off China's oil, they'd either go to war with us or else sell off all their US Treasury bonds at fire-sale prices; the US dollar would be worthless, Americans would see rampant inflation, and our time as a superpower would be over.

The US is protecting the world economy. (At least, that is how our government sees it.) The world's economy is all interwoven and dependent now. Oil is a commodity, and any serious disruption to the world's supply of oil could sink a world economy that is already teetering on the brink.

Why do you think the US and its Gulf War allies kicked Saddam out of Kuwait? Because they feared a disruption of the world's oil supply and an economic collapse. The world's economy would have been subject to the whim of a madman.

Ah, conspiracy theories! Don't you just love a good, intricate tale of intrigue?

Oil obviously does affect the US approach to the Middle East. But I don't buy the above story. I think the explanation is much simpler, less belligerent, and more practical. The US doesn't want to threaten China's oil supply; they own so much of our government's debt that the US will do almost anything to avoid pissing them off. If we cut off China's oil, they'd either go to war with us or else sell off all their US Treasury bonds at fire-sale prices; the US dollar would be worthless, Americans would see rampant inflation, and our time as a superpower would be over.

The US is protecting the world economy. (At least, that is how our government sees it.) The world's economy is all interwoven and dependent now. Oil is a commodity, and any serious disruption to the world's supply of oil could sink a world economy that is already teetering on the brink.

Why do you think the US and its Gulf War allies kicked Saddam out of Kuwait? Because they feared a disruption of the world's oil supply and an economic collapse. The world's economy would have been subject to the whim of a madman.
This is just as much of a conspiracy then the previous post. Too many question, Too little answers.
Maybe the USA thought Saddam was too dangerous to be kept alive, even with those W.M.D threats.
Though pesonally, I don't care about politics, Too complicated and boring.

It's better for them,But like you said we cant trust what those politicians said.
Let's wait and watch.

At least six suspected al-Qaeda fighters have been killed in a military air raid in the north of the country, a Yemeni security official said.

"Two cars carrying eight dangerous al-Qaeda members were hit in an area between Saada and al-Jouf," the security official told the Reuters news agency on Friday.

"Two may have survived and escaped", the officials said.

"The group included Qassem al-Raimi, Ayed al-Shabwani, Ammar al-Waeli, and Saleh al-Teys," the official said, adding that these four men were wanted by Yemeni and US security.

The Yemeni official said al-Raimi was "the al-Qaeda military leader and senior planner of most operations in Yemen", adding that he had escaped two previous air raids.

Mohamed Vall, Al Jazeera's correspondent in Yemen, said al-Raimi was a prominent member of al-Qaeda who escaped from a Yemeni jail in 2006.

Ayed al-Shabwani was the leader of al-Qaeda in Maarib, east of Sanaa, our correspondent said.

Security officials told news agencies that al-Shabwani had provided a hideout and training facilities at his farm in the mountainous eastern province.

The latest reported deaths come after Abdullah Mehdar, the purported head of an al-Qaeda cell in the eastern province of Shabwa, in an attack on the house where he was hiding.

Several other figures, who the security forces say are senior al-Qaeda members, have also been killed or arrested in recent weeks.

Source: Al-Jazeerah

Read more about this news :
http://english.aljazeera.net/news/middleeast/2010/01/2010115141954305381.html

Saudi arrests over 'terror plot'

Saudi arrests over 'terror plot'

Saudi Arabia, the world's biggest oil exporter, has arrested more than 100 people suspected of having links with al-Qaeda, the interior ministry has said.

A statement from the ministry on Wednesday said the suspects were plotting attacks on oil and security installations in the kingdom.

One cell consisted of 101 people, and two smaller cells were made up of six men each.

The large cell comprised 47 Saudis and 51 Yemenis, as well as a Somali, a Bangladeshi and an Eritrean, said the statement read out on state television.

The two smaller groups were made up of 11 Saudis and a Yemeni, who security officials described as being a prominent member of al-Qaeda.

to read the full article :

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/middleeast/2010/03/2010324131416372358.html

Back
Top Bottom