What's new

Teen Burns Down House Over Grades

Did you mean Asian teens who are studying in California ?

Yes,both American-born ones and immigrant youngsters grew up here are under tremendous pressure from parents to strive for high grade point average at high school in order to get into top-rate American universities of their choice.

The problem is overly-competitiveness Asian mentality.It's a past-time for some specific Asian nationalities boast about their child ranks either #1 or #2 in overall school district blah blah blah.:sick:

I've read a Japan-related news story in a local English periodical several years back,there was an ugly vendetta episode between a Japanese mother and some parents over grades or competing for best school on behalf of their children.

There are parents like that here as well, though I suppose it's less common...

...or maybe, it's just that the over-pressured kid can say "F*** YOU!" to his parents and go get stoned more easily in California--rather than burning his house down.

It's all a matter of how you deal with it, but I personally think far too much importance is placed on traditional "education" and following such a rigid, predetermined path in most cultures. I use to be the typical nerd in school--high IQ, studied all the time, never did anything that could get me in legal trouble or jeopardize getting into a good college. Of course, I got picked on for it, and always comforted myself with the thought that I'd be graduating college and getting a good job while those people were stuck working at McDonalds...

...then the school district just "lost" my high-school transcripts, leaving me in what should have been my last year in high-school without any credits whatsoever. They said I was going to have to start over again at the Jr High level since they didn't have any proof of what grade I should be in--other than several IQ tests with the word "genius" on them and a number of language aptitude tests that showed my reading level as being the equivalent of a 42-year old college graduate when I was seven....

...needless to say, I dropped out of high school, tried college, found it to be roughly the same level of BS, and swore off public education for good.

I'm now the proud owner of my own business, specializing in the recording, editing, and production of music and films. I have a short film that was accepted into an international film competition which is currently showing all over the world, an album in the local record stores as well as for sale online, and a number of films and albums by other artists have been produced my studio that are doing similarly well.

If experience has taught me one thing, it is this:

That kid should've burned down the school instead.

It's all a matter of how you deal with it, but I personally think far too much importance is placed on traditional "education" and following such a rigid, predetermined path in most cultures.

Most Oriental parents have rigid mindset,push own children to excell regardless of their mental capacities :( :sick:

If experience has taught me one thing, it is this:

That kid should've burned down the school instead.

I agree with you, formal education can be offputting at times. Why your school didn't just have you take a standardized test is beyond me.

Though I'm not sure why burning down the school would be an improvement, kind of like bringing down the government because you disagree with a policy they have..

PS I am a little confused as you state that you run and own a film/music business, yet you list yourself as being a martial arts instructor.

Reiku
Not to say you can't do both, but you only listed one occupation, so you wear one hat, so to speak.

Most Oriental parents have rigid mindset,push own children to excell regardless of their mental capacities

I really think that most people can do more, the question is, should you? Not everyone wants to excel at everything. A common mindset in America is to not only try and do your best, but also to focus on the thing or things you do best, rather than try to compete at everything.

By focusing your talents, people can often earn more and usually enjoy life more. I always think it's better to pay others who know how or enjoy doing something more than doing it myself. Of course, some people enjoy doing it for their own self-satisfaction, but I wouldn't say it is necessarily beneficial to insist on doing things you don't do well or dislike doing by yourself all the time. Our time is limited, and we can only do so much in a day. In that sense, very few people are truly independent, they often use services or buy products from others.

Not everyone wants to excel at everything. A common mindset in America is to not only try and do your best, but also to focus on the thing or things you do best,rather than try to compete at everything.By focusing your talents,people can often earn more and usually enjoy life more.

This paragraph sums up what I often said to other Asian parents.

Now this kid is definetly at fault. But the child's life should be checked into as well. What did his parents do to him if he got poor grades? Does he just haave mental problems? Or did his parents abuse him? But to me if this kid was normal and burning down th house was better than facing the consecuences his parents must have been awful to him.

Any updates on this raged Japanese school teen,is he detained at juvenile hall or attending reform school for troubled teens ?

Back
Top Bottom