What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Tech question: kanji display

Majestic

先輩
Reaction score
Hello All,
I often use the Glyphwiki site to find old or unusual variants of kanji. Lately I notice a lot of the kanji aren't displaying, and I get a red box with an x in it instead of the kanji (☒).
I cleared the cache, uninstalled Chrome and then re-installed it. All the settings should be correct. Anyone have a fix for this, or is it just one of those quirks I have to live with? As an example, on a recent thread there was a variant for 発 that I was trying to find, so when I go the glyphwiki page for 発 (u767a (発) - GlyphWiki) I should be able to see the various ways of writing 発, but many of them are replaced by the symbol as below.
Let me know if you have any ideas, or if you are seeing the same thing.

Edit: It happens in Edge too, but the "undisplayable" kanji aren't consistent between the two browsers. Some show up in Chrome, and don't show up in Edge, whereas Edge will be fine displaying certain variants, but will gag on others.

Attachments

• glyph.JPG
    glyph.JPG
    102.5 KB · Views: 7

mdchachi

Reaction score
I'm seeing the same thing. In this particular case both Chrome and Edge show the same thing. If I dig into one of the links, it's pointing to an image that looks like like the red batsu. So I'd guess the problem is all theirs.

Majestic

先輩
Reaction score
OK - thanks much. Interesting. Now when I go to that page I can see a lot fewer red batsu boxes. Anyway, looks better than it did a few hours ago.

Top Bottom