What's new

Tale of Genji: whaddya think?

ashuri2

me gots isshooz...
28 Mar 2004
after hearing all the hype about the Tale of Genji being the world's oldest known written novel, i was really excited when i found a copy of it in my school's library and i started reading it immediately. however, i found it to be intensely...boring. :eek: the book is extremely long, even by my standards, and the stroryline is repeitive and essentially is a chrnicle of the affairs of the prince and his son. we learn of nothing else; now, i know its a love story, but that was a waste of my time other than i learned a little about what life was like for the extremely high-ranking privelged in that time and what was considered beautiful in women. ☝ please tell me what you think of this book, and whether it has any merit to it other than its literary historical significance...

I didn't find it boring--just different. It's not the type of book you just sit down and read. It's the kind you read over a long period of time--like a summer vacation. Also, the translation (if you don't read Japanese) can make a great difference in the enjoyment of any book.

hmmm...i never considered the translation part, but what would consider so great about it? i sat down and read over a long period of time, believe me, but i still just couldn't find it interesting.

I had to read it (English) for lit class. After the first two pages (well.. maybe a bit more), and it was boring as hell, and did not read after that.... I couldn't stand it and looked for Mr. Cliff.

the book is a bit on the slow side, but overall it is enjoyable and important overall because it reveals much of japan's history. musashi and many other books are written hundreds of years after the events take place, but books like this, and hagakure, give real examples of life in japan during the time.

it is a bit boring, but i would take tale of genji over a textbook any day of the week

Back
Top Bottom